Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think we will be able to kill a doe this year without a tag. It is getting ridiculous the amount of does we are and have been seeing since the permits started. Might just be our area but they are thick. Have heard that Cherokee Village will have an urban hunt this year and Im not far from there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We have a lot of does also, north of Hardy about 5 miles. I'm wondering the same thing, the buck harvest in our area was unimpressive last season, compared to the previous 5 years. I realize the AGFC let the doe harvest get out of hand for several years, and shut it down as they sould have. But, we haven't harvested a doe on our place in 7 years, and it would be nice to be able to practice a little QDM.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Boy I hope so. They need some thinning around Mountain Home, too.
That is for sure. My folks live around Viola and they are constantly running does out of thier garden and roses. last year we saw 2 heards of does that numbered at least 24-30 in each one less than 2 miles from their house. Something needs to change.
Sportsmanetc

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy it sure sounds like its just not our camp. We were able to kill a few with bows last year but not near what needs to be taken. I hope the powers to be are seeing the same thing.

·
Administrator
89,103 Posts
Boy it sure sounds like its just not our camp. We were able to kill a few with bows last year but not near what needs to be taken. I hope the powers to be are seeing the same thing.
How many do you really think are hunting in North Arkansas?? Remember, they have access to Z17.

The does are about to cover us up in Sharp County where I hunt, too.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Sure don't have a problem with too many doe in my little corner of Sharp Co. Shoo some of them gals over my way.

That's interesting about the CV hunt. I hadn't heard about that.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure don't have a problem with too many doe in my little corner of Sharp Co. Shoo some of them gals over my way.

That's interesting about the CV hunt. I hadn't heard about that.
Suppose to announce the dates in June I think. Will be a permit hunt of course. I also read it in the newspaper. Think the first deer has to be a doe. Problem is I dont know of anyone in there that will allow people to hunt.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've been saying it for years, but any deer harvest should aim for an equal harvest of bucks and does. In my little corner of NE Randolph County, we have too many does and not enough bucks.

I think the AGFC has done a terrible job in this area. In my opinion, I would like to see a one buck and one doe limit with a ML, same with MG, and something similar with a bow. This would balance things out just a little bit. I don't understand being able to kill 2 bucks and 0 does with a firearm. If the population is not healthy enough to harvest does, then you shouldn't harvest bucks, either. In my humble opinion, if you are allowed to kill 2 bucks, then you should be allowed to kill 2 does, and so on. I believe it would relieve some of the hunting pressure on bucks, and more of our small bucks would be allowed to mature while a hunter would pass on them to shoot a doe for the freezer.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
RCHunter,

The CV hunt would be just like the ones in Bull Shoals and Heber. It isn't about reducing the herd to get a better ratio or increase the quality of the deer, it's simply about reducing the herd. I know the one in BS is a 'kill every deer you see' sorta hunt. At least it used to be.

·
Registered
64 Posts
well,, I may be wrong but im usually right so heres my opinion. the biggest reason there were so many does seen last winter and this spring is because they did not have anything to eat in the woods which made them come out into the open where they could be seen.I would not oppose a doe season if it was only 1 or 2 days of the gun season but if you open it up to the entire season the # of does taken will hurt our up and comming deer population, and it not just resadents who can take a doe either all non res hunters will get one too.I feel the better solution is to try to increase the # of bucks instead of decrease the # of does. the exception is in areas like cherokee village and bull shoals and similar areas.The deer pop is starting to get back to what it was before the last time they openned doe season for the season.If you want to decrease the # of does pick up a bow and do it that way.dont allow all the poachers a way to kill anything they see and it be ok, there is enough of that going on right now.If you have too many does on your farm have the agfc do a survey and issue the proper # of permits assuming they even know how to do such a thing. Increase the # of bucks by putting a 4 pt on one side or spike,nothing in between.the 3 pt rule is great but i hate to see a spike and a 6 point the same age and the 6 pt gets shot, there goes a set of good genetics down the drain and the lesser ones get passed on. Im sure you guys will pick this apart so have at it but if you will read it openly you might agree with me on some of it.
this is only 1 opinion. thanks.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Our land is actually in Clarkridge up 201N - pretty close to Norfork WMA. On that land we have about 80 acres and we always keep 3-5 or so acres in food plots of some sort - usually something we can share with the deer, like corn, turnips, sorghum cane etc that we harvest some of and let the deer eat what they want. There's no way the land we have would hold all the deer we see, but we grow enough groceries that they're constantly moving through to feed. None of the neighbors put in any food plots, or at least none on the bordering farms.

Lewman,

I see your point, and I agree that we should be working to get more bucks, but you may be ignoring a critical point. If a piece of land can only hold x number of deer, say 100 for simplicity, then you can only have 100 deer on that piece of land. That's it's carrying capacity. You can increase that by planting food plots or increasing native browse, but that increase is really artificial. So if you can only have 100 deer, and 70 of them are does, then only 30 can be bucks. If you want to increase the number of bucks you MUST decrease the number of does.

I think zone 3, or my area at least, is pretty close to it's carrying capacity already. By this logic you can only increase the number of bucks in the zone by decreasing the number of does. Not killing does will always produce higher total numbers of deer, but if it's more bucks you want you gotta take out more does than bucks to get the ratio equalized.

Additionally, I predict the deer herd is gonna take a dive over the next several years. Food plots artificially inflate carrying capacity, and when folks don't have the money to plant them there will be more deer than food, and herd numbers will drop to the 'natural' carrying capacity of the land. They may actually spike for a year or 2 since the deer will be moving around more looking for food, but harvest numbers will drop in the long term.

Again, just speculation. Opinions may vary.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.