Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who use a zero angle mount for their live scope? I have used the standard issue angled one for two years now. My line of thinking is the boat is rocking side to side and I am using a pole mount on the side of my boat so does a perfectly straight mounted transducer make that much of a deal?

·
Grand Member
10,935 Posts
Something I hadn't thought about until taking to some guys that make a living fishing. Now when they setup their new boat, they worry about leveling and truing the trolling motor shaft with the boat, as it sits in the water, so the livescope points straight in relation to he boat no matter which way they turn the trolling motor. That way what you see on the screen is the same depth and left and right orientation, whether it's pointing forward or to the side. A must they say for precise lure presentation. I'd think this would come into play no matter what kind of mounting system was used for the transducer.

·
Grand Member
10,935 Posts
No they want it to swivel so they can look around, but they want to make sure the trolling motor shaft is dead plumb with the boat when the boat is in the water. Really not level with the boat as much as it is level with the surface of the water. This was something never thought of before, you just bolted the trolling motor to the front of the boat, clamped a transducer to the motor, pointed it down and went fishing. These new Livescope types are so precise and forward looking they are spending lots of time and effort in shimming and truing how the trolling motor is mounted to the boat so that the shaft is on as perfect a 90 degree angle front to back as well as side to side so that the beam from the transducer is projected level from all angles. Not pointing slightly up on one side of the boat and down a little on the other and straight ahead, not angled up or down in the least. Get'n complicated.

·
Premium Member
26,473 Posts
I have a poleducer and it allows you infinate angle of pole adjustment. I have actually purposely fixed it in a canted position when I have had a couple of people in the boat on one side jigging a spoon. It did help finding the spoon. My boat is pretty big and wide and not subject to very much list to the side - but I could see it being a problem in a smaller, lighter boat

·
Premium Member
23,321 Posts
No they want it to swivel so they can look around, but they want to make sure the trolling motor shaft is dead plumb with the boat when the boat is in the water. Really not level with the boat as much as it is level with the surface of the water. This was something never thought of before, you just bolted the trolling motor to the front of the boat, clamped a transducer to the motor, pointed it down and went fishing. These new Livescope types are so precise and forward looking they are spending lots of time and effort in shimming and truing how the trolling motor is mounted to the boat so that the shaft is on as perfect a 90 degree angle front to back as well as side to side so that the beam from the transducer is projected level from all angles. Not pointing slightly up on one side of the boat and down a little on the other and straight ahead, not angled up or down in the least. Get'n complicated.
Yes..Exactly What I had to do..or have it done..
The Kid at H2O Spotrs was a genius at this...Kid..Lol....

·
Grand Member
10,935 Posts
Yes..Exactly What I had to do..or have it done..
The Kid at H2O Spotrs was a genius at this...Kid..Lol....
It's just something no one thought about before. Regular depthfinders looked down and even with sidescan had such a wide beam from the transducer having the mounted exactly straight wasn't a noticeable thing. Whether the transducer was on the back of the boat, shooting through the hull or on the trolling motor there was no precise mounting requirements. That's all changed with this new stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
I do, had my livescope for over 2yrs now on a separate pole! Ice fishermen had a great idea for getting the transducer looking straight down, apiece of pvc pipe! About a yr later someone on ebay started making the side with the 7 degree angle straight and I bought one, end of story!

·
Registered
26,283 Posts
Who use a zero angle mount for their live scope? I have used the standard issue angled one for two years now. My line of thinking is the boat is rocking side to side and I am using a pole mount on the side of my boat so does a perfectly straight mounted transducer make that much of a deal?
I just ordered one, have been using the standard 8, but ordered a different mount for the transducer to attach to the pole and they had a 0° back half for a little of nothing so I figured why not. I’m with you though, I really don’t see how it could make all that much difference. I talked to a Garmin tech about it for a while, and he said you’re just losing 8° of viewing area, but that doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Seems like it would just be canted.

·
Premium Member
23,321 Posts
It's just something no one thought about before. Regular depthfinders looked down and even with sidescan had such a wide beam from the transducer having the mounted exactly straight wasn't a noticeable thing. Whether the transducer was on the back of the boat, shooting through the hull or on the trolling motor there was no precise mounting requirements. That's all changed with this new stuff.
Yep..

·
Premium Member
26,473 Posts

the poleducer mount allows infinite adjustment - either on the pole or the boat mount side. I figure you could just attach one of the standard RAM mounts to your pole with a little modification

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the prototype I built almost two years ago. I have made some modifications though. I switched it to the port side so I could hold my jig pole in my right hand and scan at the same time with my left. I also made a stronger 2 walled shaft by putting one pipe inside the other and made out of the gray pipe. I'm told it will not get brittle like the white pvc pipe does over time. The trolling motor mount has more adjustment than needed and was free.

·
Registered
26,283 Posts
This is the prototype I built almost two years ago. I have made some modifications though. I switched it to the port side so I could hold my jig pole in my right hand and scan at the same time with my left. I also made a stronger 2 walled shaft by putting one pipe inside the other and made out of the gray pipe. I'm told it will not get brittle like the white pvc pipe does over time. The trolling motor mount has more adjustment than needed and was free.

View attachment 301125
Have you messed with perspective mode much at all? That’s my next foray, have just been running forward so far but a couple lakes I fish I think perspective will/could be deadly.

·
Premium Member
26,473 Posts

View attachment 301125
Mine is also mounted port side, which is perfect for me because I hold both a spinning rod and a baitcasting rod in my right hand. And in addition, I wanted one side of the bow uncluttered for getting in and out of the boat. The trolling motor is already on the port side and I didnt want to block the starboard side with the livescope mount. It fits nicely under my trolling motor and is out of the way when stowed.

·
Premium Member
26,473 Posts
Have you messed with perspective mode much at all? That’s my next foray, have just been running forward so far but a couple lakes I fish I think perspective will/could be deadly.
I just ordered my perspective mount. I think it might be more useful for me than forward view if you can see a fish on a cypress tree in three feet of water. I also saw a video of a guy using perspective in saltwater fishing for trout. He could see them on perspective mode fifty feet away in one foot of water. I will give that a try this summer.

·
Registered
26,283 Posts
I just ordered my perspective mount. I think it might be more useful for me than forward view if you can see a fish on a cypress tree in three feet of water. I also saw a video of a guy using perspective in saltwater fishing for trout. He could see them on perspective mode fifty feet away in one foot of water. I will give that a try this summer.
I think I watched the same video. For what I do and how I fish I really think it’s going to be incredibly valuable tool, just don’t have any first hand experience yet.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made my own perspective view mount by modding the original mount as seen on utube. I also thought it would be better in shallow water but I actually didn't care for it. I fish a lot of shallow oxbows and Conway and LS isn't an issue at all. Just set my screen depth accordingly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts