Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone of you guys use these? I have about 3 old models that I have used for years. Bought my son a new 33 combo (junk). Took it back and got another new one and this one has similar problems, line hanging up in the top part of the reel. Many times the bait will come right back when casting. Sure is smooth when it does work, almost, but not quite as smooth as my Ambassador 5000.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought one last year and it works great. My zebco 733 on the other hand has been a turd lately. The 33 is smooth all the time though. :confused: what brand and size line are you using?
Using the line that came on it, I think 8lb test.
The newest one messed up on its first trip to the water.
They (33's) seem to have to much line on the spool, for one problem?

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Take the line that come on it off and replace it with new line but don't put quite as much on it. I had the same problem with one I recently purchased and this fixed the problem. I noticed the factory line had a bad kink problem, so bad so that it would bring my cork almost all the way back to me. I also think this makes it hang up in the reel.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Take the line that come on it off and replace it with new line but don't put quite as much on it. I had the same problem with one I recently purchased and this fixed the problem. I noticed the factory line had a bad kink problem, so bad so that it would bring my cork almost all the way back to me. I also think this makes it hang up in the reel.
X2, now that possum mentioned it I remember that I replaced the line the day I got it!:doh:

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sounds reasonable to me. The line looks like some cheap off brand that kinks easily.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
I bought one in case the bream were in cover I couldn't get them out of with the ultra-light and on the first cast my cork hit me right between the eyes. I put Shakespear Cajun Line on mine cause I've had good luck with it on my baitcast rigs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been very unhappy with zebco reels for the last five years. I bought one for my own birthday present and the bait clicker broke before I could catch one fish then the anti reverse failed.I will not buy another zebco. I have gotten them as gifts and the same problem have occured shortly after I used them awhile. They have a zebco omega if you want the same quailty as the older 33s for 40 more dollars. When quailty fades so will the name.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
I got a buncha 33s and there's no better reel for slow rollin a jig for crappie and bream.....I find parts reels most of the time in pawnshops! I have a 909 working and a parts reel....looking for others!:up:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I have been very unhappy with zebco reels for the last five years. I bought one for my own birthday present and the bait clicker broke before I could catch one fish then the anti reverse failed.I will not buy another zebco. I have gotten them as gifts and the same problem have occured shortly after I used them awhile. They have a zebco omega if you want the same quailty as the older 33s for 40 more dollars. When quailty fades so will the name.
They don't make them like they used too. That is for sure. It has been years since i have bought one that lasted.

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
They don't make them like they used too. That is for sure. It has been years since i have bought one that lasted.
I think you could send them to Tulsa with 5 bucks and they would fix em. Not any more. One of my friends took a bunch of them down there once. Now he just buys a new one every year. That is probably their marketing plan. Build em cheap and sell em often. :down:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Zebcos are all I use. Not the china ones though. I've got several of the old ones put back. Well it started out just putting some back and now it's a full blown collection. LOL I'm still looking for a 33XBL and an Omega 164 in good condition if any one has some laying around they want to sell.

For pan fish I use the Zebco 33 Classic (80s) and for bigger stuff I use an Omega 191. You talk about a smooth reel. Those old omegas are sweet.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.