Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a HUGE supporter of the youth hunt and I have argued with several of you on here about it being abused. (I may have been wrong)

In todays Petit Jean headlight news, there were pics of 2 longbeards and 1 jake. The "hunters" were an 8 year-old (maybe) a five year-old (probably not) and a cute little 4-year-old with a ribbon in her hair. (no way!)

I was wrong! If you want to "help" your 4 year old kill a bird don't put it in the paper!

Please don't make us look bad!

Jump to page 18.

http://www.eclassifiedsnetwork.com/content.aspx?IsHome=1&MemberID=1228&ID=1396&Module=Quickpage

·
Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye
17,185 Posts
The four year old aint so bad. Deer season before last a 18 month old boy killed a pretty good buck close to where I hunt.His dad still swears that he killed the deer and that he just helped him hold the rifle. He also checked the deer but got in a little trouble with the agfc. The dad says he got out of it though.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There is no doubt a good bit of abuse going on in both youth season. Alot of abuse going on in the regular season. Some folks are just sorry. Lots of 4 and 5 yr olds killing birds. Some of them maybe able to handle it I dont know. I have a just turned 6 yr old. He cant handle a 20 gauge all on his own, little on be able to keep it together enough to get on an approaching gobbler. He is still aways off. Untill he can actually handle the gun and do the whole deal himself, he will stick to just tagging along and watching on a few hunts during the adult season. I am guessing he will be about 10-12 before he can actually handle it. I aint having none of this just reaching over and pulling the trigger mess.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I truely feel there needs to be a age limit put on the youth hunt. It should be somewhere around 7 or 8. If anyone wants to carry a child younger than that they should carry them during the season.

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I truely feel there needs to be a age limit put on the youth hunt. It should be somewhere around 7 or 8. If anyone wants to carry a child younger than that they should carry them during the season.
I think that it should be at least 7 or 8 for big game. (deer, bear and turkey)

Like manybeards said, Daddy can load up the stroller during the regular season after he tags out.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
As much as I think the youth hunts are abused, I would hate to see the state enact a minimum age for hunting. I'm usually not a "more regulation is the answer" kind of guy.
That said, I think that maybe the kid should be able to demonstrate that they can hold and fire the gun by themselves. And if the recoil knocks them smooth on their butt, maybe the warden should be able do the same thing to their daddy.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I do not believe any child unable to pass some sort of gun handling test should be able to hunt. I do not believe the little girl or little boy in the pictures can handle a shotgun by themselves. I have seen a little 5 year old girl at our range shoot a lightweight .243 until she ran out of shells however (about 10 shots and was asking for more). Each child is different and she showed she could handle a gun and did kill a deer the next day. I have no doubt she did it by herself and did shoot the deer after her older (7 year old) brother missed it. Bad as I hate to say, it needs better management of hunters.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
As much as I think the youth hunts are abused, I would hate to see the state enact a minimum age for hunting. I'm usually not a "more regulation is the answer" kind of guy.
That said, I think that maybe the kid should be able to demonstrate that they can hold and fire the gun by themselves. And if the recoil knocks them smooth on their butt, maybe the warden should be able do the same thing to their daddy.
I support a minimum age to qualify for a youth hunt only. If dad wants to carry an 18 month old baby with him then let it be during the regular season. I do not oppose letting a youth participate in the regular season.
I will continue to support an age restriction, 8 to 16 years old to qualify for a youth hunt privilege. Even then it is hard to tell if a child is ready to accept the responsibility of shooting a firearm. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The youth hunt is becoming quite a slippery slope. This next fall, holders of 65+ licenses, who are accompanying a hunting youth, will be allowed to hunt deer during the youth hunt.

Next year look for this same regulation to be enacted during the youth turkey hunt.

It seems that instead of trying to go after offenders, the AG&FC is simply going to legalize abuse of the youth hunt.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i hear that midnight rider. i have been hunting turkeys with my dad since i was 8 and killed my first that same year, no youth hunt though. had to go out there when all the big boys were out there too. i think the youth hunt is ruining the regular season. I know we should take the kids but the ppl that are not abusing the youth hunt would be taking there kids during the regular season also. Ever since i killed my first turkey my dad has always said that he enjoyed me killing them more than him. i believe that the abusers of the youth hunt would be doing it anyway but the youth hunt is also giving them a legal reason to be out there. thats just my twisted view on it.

dan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re

The same guys that abuse the youth hunt are the same guys that start hunting turkey in Mid March. The youth hunt has virtually no impact on the regular season. The abuse will continue we can only rely on our G&F officers to keep up the good work and continue to try and catch these losers who abuse the system.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I do not believe any child unable to pass some sort of gun handling test should be able to hunt. I do not believe the little girl or little boy in the pictures can handle a shotgun by themselves. I have seen a little 5 year old girl at our range shoot a lightweight .243 until she ran out of shells however (about 10 shots and was asking for more). Each child is different and she showed she could handle a gun and did kill a deer the next day. I have no doubt she did it by herself and did shoot the deer after her older (7 year old) brother missed it. Bad as I hate to say, it needs better management of hunters.
Not callin you a liar,but would have to see that with my own eyes!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have hunted for over 40 yrs and you cant tell me a kid under 7 or 8 yrs old can handle a shotgun and kill a turkey.When the AGFC lets this kind of CRAP go on it really chaps my a**!I'm tellin you the problem is worse than you think.Dont all kids have to have a hunters ed card?So they have to take the hunters ed course,well,just have them demostrate they can handle a firearm.Why the AGFC turns the other cheek to this illegal activity I dont know,and when they happen upon one of us legal hunters they do there best to find something we are doin wrong "I DONT UNDERSTAND".My opinion!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I agree there needs to be an age limit on the youth hunts. If you set an age then alot of this crap
will stop since it will make it harder. There will still be those that break the rules, and the AGFC
needs to crack down on them big time.

The 65+ weekend hunt is the stupidest idea that has ever come along. There is NO justification for it

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Whatever happened to it just being deer or turkey season, and you go hunting no matter what age you are. I don't understand why we need special weekends to introduce youth, or senior citizens to hunting. If we are good stewards of our sport and our families we will take others hunting regardless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.