Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday morning about 4:00 am I was heading to pendleton dam to do some fishing and stopped to gas up and ran into a couple of guys I know,they were taking one of their sons youth hunting,it was a father,son and grandson, before parting the grandfather looked at me and said now you know I'm not taking a gun "wink,wink",now he more or less told me he had his gun and was planing on taking a turkey.Also I know a couple more guys planing the same thing. I'm just one person,am I an exception or does everyone experience this,if so,we have a real problem.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It is being abused by some. Kids that can't even hold or shoot a gun for themselves shoudn't be allowed to hunt! The AGFC needs to put an age limit for the youth hunts. Deer, turkey, duck whatever the season. I hear to many stories of Dads holding the gun for junior and letting him pull the trigger. Also, the kid doesn't even practice shooting before the season because the gun "kicks too hard". If it is painful he/she is too young.

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,957 Posts
It happens everywhere, all the time, all types of hunting and fishing. I have seen 2 year old girls enter 7 pound trout to win big fish contest. Get real, a 2 year old could not hold the pole by themselves on a fish that big, let alone play it. GW's are right there, just looking the other way. I know a guy that did that for the first 10 years of his kids lives, now they hate hunting and fishing. Eventually it will catch up with them.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I've seen a picture of a 3 year old that shot a deer with a 30.06 in our local paper during the youth hunt one year.:rolleyes: I guess if he can do it than anyone can. :smack:

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
My son is 8, and he can't even hold his BB gun correctly at this point. He tags along with me in the deer woods, but does not carry a gun, and we DO NOT go out for youth hunts. Maybe in 2 more years we will, but not until he can shoulder a gun himself.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
I do know of a 5 year old that has taken a deer...shot it with a youth model .243! Of course his dad took him about every weekend and shot the gun and made sure he knew what he was doing...but I do agree that youth hunts are being abused!

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
the only problem with an age restriction is the difference in development for youths. Those doing it illegal are going to do it that way no matter the regs.

I agree with this. Cheaters, cheat, that is what they do and who they are. I don't know what the solution is but we should all try to be a part of it. Also if we call for proof of proficiency, how would that work? Would we have to take our children to be tested? Somewhere, there is a solution but I don't know what it is.

·
Administrator
41,150 Posts
Those doing it illegal are going to do it that way no matter the regs.
Cheaters, cheat, that is what they do and who they are.
I agree and maybe Im naive but I like to think that more kids are being taught "the right way" than the wrong way.

It sounds like game and fish were out in force trying to catch what lawbreakers they could and thats a good thing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Saturday morning about 4:00 am I was heading to pendleton dam to do some fishing and stopped to gas up and ran into a couple of guys I know,they were taking one of their sons youth hunting,it was a father,son and grandson, before parting the grandfather looked at me and said now you know I'm not taking a gun "wink,wink",now he more or less told me he had his gun and was planing on taking a turkey.Also I know a couple more guys planing the same thing. I'm just one person,am I an exception or does everyone experience this,if so,we have a real problem.

Did you call an report them? If not, you are part of the problem.

IN the words of Albert Einstein ""The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The game and fish knows of people that abuse, but need proof before can arrest. Most of us know drug dealers and game violators, but, sadly hearsay don't put them in jail. Anybody think OJ simpson is guilty? I do think Game and Fish cares about abuse in the youth hunt.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
1,937 Posts
You have to be careful when you want to put age restrictions on the youths. My son could put 10 shots in a 1-1/4" circle with a 10/22 when he was 6. He took 2 deer when he was 7, shot an 8pt with a 17" inside spread when he was 8, as well as a turkey last spring. Yesterday he bagged a gobbler with a 10' beard and 3/4" spurs at 40 yrds. weighed 18 1/2 lbs. He crow hunts with me and calls them in, but he's a little slow on the swing just yet. Although I do agee that he's the exception, not the standard. He's been going with me since he was 5, he now has a .243, a single shot .308, and his great grandfather's old Marlin .22 that he considers "his".

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you call an report them? If not, you are part of the problem.

IN the words of Albert Einstein ""The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
I agree,maybe I should have called,but it has'nt done any good in the past.I think a child should demostrate he can use a firearm before he hunts,you show me a 5 yr old that took game with a 12 ga and I say not possible.

·
Registered
803 Posts
here is missouri the same thing is happening. every year during youth season you see kids in the paper that you know did not kill the turkey they are pictured with. here the GW are out in full force during this time but they cant catch them all.The bottom line is that it is up to us as hunter to hold our fellow hunters accountable for there actions. Their LAW BREAKING will sooner or later affect all of us.I would not think twice about turning someone in !!because the way I look at it they are stealing from our Kids and Grandchildern and who of you wouldn't protect your family. I want them to be able to enjoy the outdoors the way I have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.