Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br
11,495 Posts
Interesting, I was surprised to see that many hunter's license were sold to out of state residents.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Would someone explain professional fees? 4,202,293.00 dollars in professional fees?????

$80,072,926 for 06/07 budgeted operating cost for the AGFC:head:

allocated as follows:
Operating Divisions % Expense Categories %
Law Enforcement 20.6% Salaries & Related Expenses 48.5%
Wildlife Management 18.1% Maintenance & Operations 34.6%
Fisheries Management 13.7% Capital Projects 12.6%
Education & Outreach 8.3% Equipment & Vehicle Purchases 4.3%
Capital Projects 12.6%
General Administration 4.0%
Support Services 22.7%

Support Services includes Communications, Construction Engineering and Real Estate,Fiscal Services, Human Resources, Information Technology, Legal, Operations, and River Basins divisions. This Biennium Budget would be allocated in approximately the proportions listed above, except for some adjustments related to construction and operation of the proposed nature centers and utilization of the Gas Lease Revenue line item

22.7%!!! Do you think the nature centers will even be used??
I don't see it!
Cut that percentage by at least a 1/3rd and give it to the enforcement division!

I am done .....

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
Do you think the nature centers will even be used??
I don't see it!
Cut that percentage by at least a 1/3rd and give it to the enforcement division!

I am done .....
I agree with you and I think that the nature centers are a gross waste of money.

But please give that 1/3rd to the Wildlife and Fisheries Divisions. The Enforcement Division gets more than their fair share already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What was the emergency at the Little Rock nature center that caused the governor to give them $62,000 out of his emergency fund?

I hear the Little Rock nature center will cost over $10 million when it's all said and done. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What was the emergency at the Little Rock nature center that caused the governor to give them $62,000 out of his emergency fund?

I hear the Little Rock nature center will cost over $10 million when it's all said and done. Anyone know if this is true?
That's a good question that we will never get an answer to.

·
Registered
17,190 Posts
I agree with you and I think that the nature centers are a gross waste of money.
I must absolutely disagree with this statement. Now if you have never been to one, or saw the kids that come to these, I could understand your feelings. I might feel the same way. But since I have one but a few miles from my home, I see the value they have on our kids. Now of course what the value is to me or you or anyone else is gonna be different I understand. I think if I recall right the one here was built for like 5 million and I maybe wrong on that. But that is still a high number none the less. But this building will be in place for many generations of kids to visit and understand what the region is about and a lot about the wildlife in it. Nature and the conservation of our nature which includes hunting, is very important. Schools for the whole NE region bring kids to this one and I would dare say, most of the kids would never get to see the things thats in this one here. This Nature center here is very pro hunting and this is the type of stuff we need to help counter all the negative stuff our kids get fed in schools.

Short story, My daughter had a frined over the other day, and they (her mom included) came in my garage and saw some of my racks, the mom of my daughters friend says oh your husband must hunt, sorta in a snide way. My wife says yes. So my daughter and her friend comes in my computer/slash hunting room later and she looks up and says you really like to hunt. So I am at the computer and I look over and say yes. So this peaks my interest so I ask the little girl, would you like to go hunting thinking maybe I might could take them together in the future. She says yes, but dad and mom don't like hunting. I tell her I was sorry and asked her why then don't you dislike hunting, she says well, I went to this place (nature center) and they showed me these animals some like here and it was really neat. So I said, then you would like to go hunting and she said yes.

So I figured surely this isn't her true feelings, surely her seeing the nature center and all the mounts and stuff about hunting hasn't given her a desire to hunt. So later on in the evening, my wife yells at me, which is normal, but she yells and says the deer are in the back yard. So I call the girls down, to show them and their looking at them and as we are watching them my daughters friend just out of the blue says "are you not gonna shoot them"? (Like why am I not shooting them) I was stunned. Here is a girl who's mom and dad is against hunting and the young daughter 11 years old is asking me why I wasn't shooting them.

I told her I don't shoot these, and she said oh.

Now I don't know how much the nature center influence the little girl, but something had and I can only go by what she said. She defiently said her dad doesn't hunt and doesn't like it. She might have had other exposures, who knows, but she clearly said she liked the animals being displayed at the nature center and I guess in her mind hunting was ok. And her asking about shooting them confirmed to me, she had no problem with shooting them. Frankly this amazed me, cause my own daughter will not pull a trigger on a animal, and she surely want let me shoot the back yard deer. And she grew up with me killing deer since she was born. Now she don't have a problem with me doing it, but she hasn't got to that point of doing it herself, if she ever does.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Firehog,
I completely agree with you. I took my son to the Janet Huckabee Nature Center down by Fort Smith. He absolutely loved it. He will be 3 in May and has been catching fish for almost a year. He eats Deer Meat and likes it. The Center in Fort Smith was absolutley wonderful for him. We walked around Wells lake and saw people catching Rainbow Trout and he did not want to leave. He loved the Fishing station where you use canepoles with magnets to catch stuffed pillows that look like fish.

I know those centers are paid for with everyone's tax dollars but this is a tax I would vote for and support. (There's :censored: few of those around) I agree that we should encourage the public schools to take more kids by the centers and get them exposed to real nature and told from the viewpoint of the sportsmen and sportswomen who paid for the restoration of so much wildlife with excise taxes, license fees, hunting regulations, donations and time in the field.

·
Registered
17,190 Posts
Our schools utilize the one here (Crowley's Ridge Nature Center) and schools all around come and go through it. Its a great educational tool not just for nature (wildflowers and all that stuff) but wild game and hunting as well.

They say the tax for this averages around $15 per citizen, it was worth it on my part. Anyone who has kids or gonna have kids, I think would agree. And let me say as a adult, I thought it was really neat and I visit it at least a few times a year. I like the nature walks around it. Which is weird, to say because I could just go hunting and see the nature, but this one center here has a wooden walk way above a pond and it goes all through the woods that floods somewhat, so you get a different perspective I guess.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Firehog,
I am in Jonesboro several times a year but have been unable to find that center. I have visited the ones in Pine Bluff and Fort Smith. Any advice on locating the Crowley's ridge center would be appreciated.

ECHIV

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I for one am glad to see they're getting a lot of use out of the 1/8 cent tax. Unless they double license fees there's no way the AGFC could fund and maintain all the public land we have, and we hunters aren't the only ones that use it. It only makes sense to keep license fees down and have every resident toss a little $$ in the pot. Tree huggers and wildlife watchers, as well as non-hunting campers, bikers, backpackers and everyone else that uses the land get as much benefit from it as we do, and it's the AGFC's goal to get EVERYONE in the woods. I think they're doing a fine job of it, and the nature centers are a wonderful idea!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think all the carbon offsets for the wild public land really helps with the Global Warming problem as well.:stooges: Maybethat's why it has been so cold this winter and I'm burning wood as fast as I can split and stack it.:biggrin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I for one am glad to see they're getting a lot of use out of the 1/8 cent tax. Unless they double license fees there's no way the AGFC could fund and maintain all the public land we have, and we hunters aren't the only ones that use it. It only makes sense to keep license fees down and have every resident toss a little $$ in the pot. Tree huggers and wildlife watchers, as well as non-hunting campers, bikers, backpackers and everyone else that uses the land get as much benefit from it as we do, and it's the AGFC's goal to get EVERYONE in the woods. I think they're doing a fine job of it, and the nature centers are a wonderful idea!
Looks like I need to repeat something from another thread. The AGFC splits equally 1/8th tax money with State Parks. Let State Parks take care of all the bird watchers, bike riders, hikers, and flower sniffers. All of these are allowed and encouraged in State Parks. But you know who's not allowed in a State Park? Hunters. Nuff said.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts