Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews Bow
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Monday afternoon I was in stand and all of a sudden at 30 yards a good 8 point shows up out of nowhere. I’d say maybe 4.5 year old. He’s standing there almost broadside with just a couple of saplings between us. I go to draw back and he turns and looks right at me. I slowly try to finish my draw and he just stares. I get full draw and notice my cam is on my knee, so I try to make a small adjustment. During this I’m thinking I lost my solid anchor point and I missed him. I also went back and watched my go pro and he literally dropped to the ground as soon as I released. Opposite shoulder was in the dirt. So he could’ve jumped string, not sure. He trotted off, then walked and stood about 80 yards just looking my way. He then walked on off to the thicket. I waited til nearly dark and climbed down to check my arrow, make sure I didn’t have blood. It was a clean miss. Then I hear a deer blow and blow and blow about 20 times. Not exaggerating... finally I heard him way off in the water stomping around blowing and I eased on out.
Thoughts on him returning to the same area anytime soon? Mixed thoughts on this.

·
Registered
Mathews Bow
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He’s been around for a couple of years so I think it’s his “home area”. I was just curious since he blew so much after the fact....carried on for 15 minutes prob. I’ll have the perfect wind for that same stand tomorrow once the rain moves out, so was going to try again. First one I’ve missed in nearly 15 years. First time I’ve seen a buck hit the ground like that also...guess goes hand in hand with the miss. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Can you set up in a different tree in the area?
This is what I was thinking. The area probably isn’t ruined, but he knows something happened there. I wouldn’t have much faith in a 4.5 yr old buck walking back in without giving that particular tree a good hard look, or cutting down wind or it. Especially if he was looking at you when you shot.

·
Registered
19,735 Posts
He’s been around for a couple of years so I think it’s his “home area”. I was just curious since he blew so much after the fact....carried on for 15 minutes prob. I’ll have the perfect wind for that same stand tomorrow once the rain moves out, so was going to try again. First one I’ve missed in nearly 15 years. First time I’ve seen a buck hit the ground like that also...guess goes hand in hand with the miss. Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like a doe showed up on scene. Not saying it couldn't have been your buck all are different but I rarely see a 4 1/2 yo buck blowing numerous times stopping their feet to alert others. It's usually a blow and go at best, most just duck out. I have seen young bucks blow a few times.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sounds like a doe showed up on scene. Not saying it couldn't have been your buck all are different but I rarely see a 4 1/2 yo buck blowing numerous times stopping their feet to alert others. It's usually a blow and go at best, most just duck out. I have seen young bucks blow a few times.
I've got a 5 yr old on the wall that stood at 62 yds and blew about 20 times before bouncing out of hearing blowing the whole way. He didn't smell me the next week!

·
Registered
Mathews Bow
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats what I thought also, or atleast was hoping. I had several does in the area the day before. I’ve never seen a mature buck blow in person, only on YouTube and social media. If thats the case then they may have seen me grab the arrow off the ground and gathering my stuff up.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
This i seriously doubt that was your buck blowing like that with that being said you surely won’t kill him if you don’t hunt him might change trees
Good luck

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm with Firehog. Doe showed to make it more aggravating. Also, would change trees. He could be a no-show rest of season. Do you know where else he may be working? I wouldn't think he is looking in tree everywhere.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If it’s a buck you want, you’re going to stay after him in the property you have access to. Other option is quit for the season. I have had missed deer show back up in the general area but it has been about a month later. After they’ve slipped back through a few times and nothing else happens, it might take back to that piece of home ground again. On my property though about this time of year, I got a lot of one time sightings and they never pass through again, so who knows? That’s why we hunt. It’s getting so thin here, it’s hard to stay motivated for long. I think at least maybe my neighbors have finally seen the light and quit shooting all the does (3 per person) just because Arkansas Game I Wish Commission says so.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
So Monday afternoon I was in stand and all of a sudden at 30 yards a good 8 point shows up out of nowhere. I’d say maybe 4.5 year old. He’s standing there almost broadside with just a couple of saplings between us. I go to draw back and he turns and looks right at me. I slowly try to finish my draw and he just stares. I get full draw and notice my cam is on my knee, so I try to make a small adjustment. During this I’m thinking I lost my solid anchor point and I missed him. I also went back and watched my go pro and he literally dropped to the ground as soon as I released. Opposite shoulder was in the dirt. So he could’ve jumped string, not sure. He trotted off, then walked and stood about 80 yards just looking my way. He then walked on off to the thicket. I waited til nearly dark and climbed down to check my arrow, make sure I didn’t have blood. It was a clean miss. Then I hear a deer blow and blow and blow about 20 times. Not exaggerating... finally I heard him way off in the water stomping around blowing and I eased on out.
Thoughts on him returning to the same area anytime soon? Mixed thoughts on this.
Sounds like he really didn't know what happened. Keep after him he will come back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts