Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your most accurate hunting rifle?
whats the caliber and most accurate load?
do you use the same load in the field?
what range do you shoot it from and do you practice from field positions?
what scope?

for me I have a 20" Steyr 308 w/ a Zeiss conquest 4-14x44.
it shoots the Hornady 168 AMAX over 41.5 gr of H4895 at 2550 MV and .5-.6" 3 shot groups are not uncommon.
while they do work as hunting bullets and i have killed deer with them i prefer a 165 BTSP at the same MV.
i shoot it out to 200 from the prone and sitting. freehand i only shoot at 100 yards or less.

i just started shooting a 30-06 that i like alot. it puts a 200 gr SP 1.75" below POI of the hornady 180's. nice rige to switch hit with. i can shoot 200's in the AM hunts in the bottoms and if i sit a clearcut or pasture in the PM i can switch out to the 180's. time will tell if i keep her or not.

· Premium Member
17,138 Posts
Winchester mod. 70 cprf in 223wssm,..Simmons3x9x40 scope.
I can cover up 3 shots with a dime @ 75yds. Thats off the bench.
Offhand not quite so good.I have'nt shot anything with it yet.
Oh,...Ammo was winchester supreme ballistic silvertip 55.grain.

· Registered
11,693 Posts
NEF Ultra 25-06 1" at 150 yards. I just ordered dies and bullets for it. I'll be trying some hornady btsp 100gr. It shoots rem. core lokt 100gr. the best.

I'm currently loading 243 and got a 1/2" group at 100 yards using 100gr. seirra game king and 41.5 gr. of powder.

Will also be loading 223 soon too.

· Registered
9,620 Posts
I have 3 that are really accurate...but 1 is seldom shot, as it was my dad's...it is a Wn Mdl 70 in 30/06 with a Weaver K6, shooting Dad's favorite handload with a 150 gr Flat nose Sierra bullet.....3 shot groups covered with a dime at 100yds........

#2...my NEF 308 Handi-rifle w/ 3X9X50 BSA, prints 3 shot 'dime' groups with Hornady 150 SST LightMags......and 'nickel' groups at 100yds with Rem 180 Core-lokts......

#3...NEF 270 Handi-rifle w/3X9X50 BSA, again 'dime' groups at 100yds with Win 140gr Silver-tips...........

· Registered
636 Posts
Remington Model 788 in .308 Win

I haven't found a load that does not provide more than adequate accuracy. I do handload a few that have produced 1.5" 3 shot groups at 200 yards. I think the rifle will do better than that, but I can't. :wink: It likes the 165 Nosler PArtitions and 150 Grain Grand Slams best for accuracy. I'll have to get back to you on the powder charge and type.

· Registered
6,534 Posts
I know I will get dinged for this but the most accurate rifle is in the hands of the shooter the reason I say this is the deer I shot in the bottoms of the White River never shot the weapon before but one time and ended up in being a downed deer. Train your children to shoot anything it will come out for the best. Look at me.:thumb:

· Registered
367 Posts
Mine is an old Glenfield 30/30, its made by Marlin I think to sell in cheaper retail stores. Might be my scope is just mounted real good! I like hunting, but I don't really spend alot of time just shooting. But usually before the season, I'll go out and shoot it about one time to make sure my scope is on and its been dead on for like 10 years. But I'm probably the biggest spaz there is when it comes to getting my scope bumped because I'm bad at sighting one in.

· Registered
623 Posts
most accurate rifle i had is a marlin .30/30. under 100yds it will out shoot any '06 i have ever owned. but i hunt like a soviet with my WASR-10 (romainian AK):thumb: or my slug gun. neither are target rifles by any means but they are more than capable of hitting the kill zone every time i pull the trigger (which is quite often:cool: )

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.