Your biggest day in the woods

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by straight shooter, Jan 7, 2011.

1. straight shooter

straight shooter Well-Known Member

What hunting day sticks out as your most impressive as far as what you did, or harvested. I know of a guy that killed a bear,and, when he went with help to get it out, he caught a wild turkey with his bare hands. That was an impressive day. Can anyone top that?

2. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Grandaddy shot a 6pt one time and watched it run off. He found blood and started down the trail only to jump the buck, but he only carried one bullet, so he chased the buck down and cut it's throat. He noticed the buck had 8 pts, but didn't think anything about it till he got back to his rifle and noticed the 6pt dead it a blowdown treetop. That was a good day. One bullet two bucks.

Later I'll tell you about the day he had two bullets.

If this was meant to be serious, I'll apologize.

3. gutpile

gutpile Well-Known Member

WOW, i was gonna post but i cant top that!!! Grandaddy is bad A:fit:

4. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

It's been mentioned on here before, there's a recording of a guy telling a tall tale about all the things he killed with one bullet, deer, geese, bear, etc. He ends it by saying, that thing about the day he had two bullets. It's funny.

5. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

:fit: x2

6. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

When I was growing up we were so poor we couldn't afford bullets. So us young kids would climb in a tree and wait for a deer to pass underneath,then holding our knife in our teeth jump on the deer's back and ride it out until we would slit it's throat.:cool:

7. straight shooter

It was meant to be serious, really happened, young turkey ran against fence. But, enjoyed your story...

8. 7 point

I was being serious:biggrin:

9. Whiskey River

Whiskey River Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2

We always jumped on the bucks and blew their horns til their battery went down. :wink:

10. Whiskey River

Whiskey River Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner<br>2

Went Polar bear hunting one time. Cut a hole in the ice and scattered some peas around the hole... Then when the Polar bear went to take a pea, we kicked him in the ice hole. :whistle:

11. :thumb:
    :fit::fit::fit:

12. straight shooter

I guess if we're not being serious.... When my dad was young he hunted with rocks. He would throw with his left hand if he didn't want to tear them up to bad.:eek:

13. thompson

thompson Well-Known Member

My biggest day of hunting was in 1998 when My 13 year old son killed his first turkey on my 38th birthday, setting between my legs at 2:45 in the afternoon. Never forget that hunt nor will he.:wink:

14. jdrake19

jdrake19 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was on a duck hunt one morning. Killed 5 limits by 7:30, got on his deer stand at 8:30, and arrowed a possible Pope & Young by 9:25. That was December 30, 2010.

Personally I cannot top that.

15. shady grove

shady grove Well-Known Member

Several yrs ago I killed a 6 and an 8 one mornin then killed a doe after I skint them about noon, I somehow missed another deer rite at dark that evenin.

16. straight shooter

Thats the kind of stories I had in mind, I think we all have had better days that stand out some from the others, but, the polar bear was the best fiction!:thumb:

17. 7 point

Well crud if were gonna be serious.:biggrin:

My biggest day in the woods was the day I broke a 4 year long dry spell of not killing gobblers. I got on one that morning and he busted me. Later that day I got another one and worked him for about 45 minutes. He wasn't coming down the hill so I used some different tactics and got that ole gobbler to come looking for love in all the wrong places. I loved that day.

18. straight shooter

I went one whole season after two gobblers, that I called the brothers. I thought they were to smart for me to ever kill. The last few days of season I used same call that had never been responded to, here they came. Only had three shells, shot, killed first one, then twice at second. He was only crippled, throwed gun down and dove on him. Walked out of there with two big gobblers! Went quickly from a sorry turkey hunter in my mind, to, for the short moment, a big one. :thumb:

19. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

When I was 17 killed two nice bucks with in 15 min an never got in the stand. The first one I walk up on feeding as soon the arrow hit him the othere one got up. Look at me then went to feeding nock a arrow an shot him. Found both deer laying 15yd apart.

20. seymore whitetail

seymore whitetail Well-Known Member

Several years ago when you could kill two does with a firearm a buddy ask me to go on Thanksgiving day. Always have a family thing on that day at noon but since I hadn't killed one yet that year I told him I'd go. Had only sat there for a little while when 7 came walking by me along a fence row. Well only 4 left out. 2 does and a buck in less than a minute is a day that really stands out in my memory!!!! Oh yeah I made it to my family Thanksgiving after getting them out of the woods and quartered up only ten minutes late!