Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son is 7 and wants to go turkey hunting he is to small for a 12 gauge was wondering had anyone ever tried a 410 or 20 gauge

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Shot my first one with a single shot 20 gauge! It put him down just fine. Good luck to the young hunter!
I'm going with a 410....those little guns hold a tight pattern out to 30yds....every 410 I ever had would bust squirrels, quail, even doves flying...also cool little skeet shooters! I'm gonna get 3" #6s and let Iris shoot it a couple times at cans and stuff to get her used to it!:wink:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I'm going with a 410....those little guns hold a tight pattern out to 30yds....every 410 I ever had would bust squirrels, quail, even doves flying...also cool little skeet shooters! I'm gonna get 3" #6s and let Iris shoot it a couple times at cans and stuff to get her used to it!:wink:

John, you got me thinkin', and that's not entirely safe :biggrin: .

Ms. Ashley got herself a .410 for Christmas, and her Papa wants to take her turkey hunting.... Maybe I should try Ashley out with some "Iris" loads and see what happens!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I had to get my Alex tuned up on 2.5" #6's for awhile before she would jump on the 3" ones.

She started out on the three's but quickly developed a flinch. She's old enough now to shoot them without issue, but when she was seven; they wailed on her little shoulder enough she didn't want much of it.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
I had to get my Alex tuned up on 2.5" #6's for awhile before she would jump on the 3" ones.

She started out on the three's but quickly developed a flinch. She's old enough now to shoot them without issue, but when she was seven; they wailed on her little shoulder enough she didn't want much of it.
A lace-on cheek rest, would be a nice thing for them 410s they have a pretty sharp kick, with 3" super x!:wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts