Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now they really have my attention :mad: I have several fawns hanging around with mommas out back where I hunt. There is an abundance of yotes around here close and I’ve never actually hunted them, but have made short order of targets of opportunity. That changes now. I ran up on one that had a fawn freshly down and when he ran, he carried this for a bit. He dropped it and and made the mistake of stopping to look back at me at about 200 yards in an open field and got rolled. Those rascals are hard to hit with old eyes and only a red dotted AR but I connected on the first shot and kinda figured all I would do at that range was educate him.

Im now going to put some effort in reducing their numbers. I’ve never called them before but have a Fox Pro on the way. Should I toss in a mo-jo critter in the mix? I know they are extremely wary and want to approach this correctly. Any tips for someone new to calling in predators?

Plant Scaled reptile Reptile Terrestrial animal Wood

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I’ve heard coyotes have an untamable sweet tooth and that they absolutely fall all over there self for a nice xylitol meatball. But like everything else I post, it’s just something I heard on the internet and have absolutely zero experience with. I think calling them effectively enough to reduce their population to any degree requires in depth knowledge of their behavior. I know they can get over called quickly. Trapping is easier to learn, but they get trap shut also. A combined approach is probably best.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Red dot is now off, scope mounted now. My boy gave me a 1-8 Bushnell AR scope for Christmas and I’ve just had it sitting around since. Going to dial it in this afternoon if it ever cools down any. I’ve got a 300 yard range behind the barn but it’s out in the open. Too dang hot and humid right now. There are several good spots I can lay prone low profile on elevated levees and can see for quite a distance. I have other options but they are all bolt guns. Not near as fast with follow ups if I need it.

·
Premium Member
30,235 Posts
Red dot is now off, scope mounted now. My boy gave me a 1-8 Bushnell AR scope for Christmas and I’ve just had it sitting around since. Going to dial it in this afternoon if it ever cools down any. I’ve got a 300 yard range behind the barn but it’s out in the open. Too dang hot and humid right now. There are several good spots I can lay prone low profile on elevated levees and can see for quite a distance. I have other options but they are all bolt guns. Not near as fast with follow ups if I need it.
If you are going to deal with Btech - you need to get one of those bolt guns at the ready ;)

·
Premium Member
34,585 Posts
Old Dog Food!! Put out once a Week around Ground blind or Deerstand..
Then hunt it.. Coyotes get use to free meal..
We also have Traps around Feed stands..
We have waged war on them!!
Went two years not Killin a Turkey concentrating on coyotes!!!
Good Hunting!!

·
Registered
18,011 Posts
First and most important part of killing coyotes: Throw your AR away and get a bolt gun. :ROFLMAO:

Just a joke, ARs are fine, you have follow up shots for when you gimp them. ;) The main thing is go in right the very first time. That is the best chance you will ever have to kill them. Thats not to say you cant get them on the second try, but typically first round is best. I called the best looking spot you have ever seen for the first time and blanked and went back a few months later and killed a quad, so it can be done.

First and foremost is get the wind right. Try to let them come on a cross wind if possible, they will respond better if they have some wind. Its asking a lot to make them come up wind, and they rarely will. If the wind aint right, leave em be.

Just play rabbit. If they aint been messed with they will come. If you shoot one dont get up and start celebrating. Keep calling.

I dont really know what else to say, it just take practice. Many things I just do and dont even think about. Im not the best teacher or good at getting my thoughts typed out. Its all a blur. Im a show you type of guy.

Coyotes have a pretty large range at night. They may not be anywhere around during the day. Its a crap shoot. I wish I could make it simple, but its not. Its easy and hard at the same time. You just have to mess with it.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
First and most important part of killing coyotes: Throw your AR away and get a bolt gun. :ROFLMAO:

Just a joke, ARs are fine, you have follow up shots for when you gimp them. ;) The main thing is go in right the very first time. That is the best chance you will ever have to kill them. Thats not to say you cant get them on the second try, but typically first round is best. I called the best looking spot you have ever seen for the first time and blanked and went back a few months later and killed a quad, so it can be done.

First and foremost is get the wind right. Try to let them come on a cross wind if possible, they will respond better if they have some wind. Its asking a lot to make them come up wind, and they rarely will. If the wind aint right, leave em be.

Just play rabbit. If they aint been messed with they will come. If you shoot one dont get up and start celebrating. Keep calling.

I dont really know what else to say, it just take practice. Many things I just do and dont even think about. Im not the best teacher or good at getting my thoughts typed out. Its all a blur. Im a show you type of guy.

Coyotes have a pretty large range at night. They may not be anywhere around during the day. Its a crap shoot. I wish I could make it simple, but its not. Its easy and hard at the same time. You just have to mess with it.
So, to sum it up, it’s easy, but tough, and AR’s are a just a POS. I agree.

·
Registered
18,011 Posts
@btech29

Thanks! That’s given me some points to consider.

I do have 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun that would give me more reach so I may switch gears and go that route. It‘s a good shooter if I do my part and it has good glass. 🙂
ARs are ok, I just dont personally like them. Most beginners start with them. If they hunt long they usually stop. The 6.5 is a good choice.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
I purchased a CZ527 back when they were just starting to get popular and the American version was just showing up. Mine is the LUX version in .223 and I set it up for yote hunting. Years later I got a flat top AR and set it up. Took the AR on a few hunts and went back to the CZ. The AR eventually found a new home with a popular, but unmentioned member here in southwest AR.
Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail Snout Wood

·
Premium Member
30,235 Posts
Any predator control should be done during fawning season if you want any value from it. You can kill a yote in December and a replacement will be munchin on a fawn in June
I agree. I did a very little coyote control back in Mar and Apr - trapping. I still am not seeing the return of coyotes on my cameras. I hate to get too excited yet - but I am seeing a lot more fawns than last year

1 - 20 of 25 Posts