Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always use minnows when I'm fishing with yo-yo's for catfish just in case there may be a hungry crappie lurking around as well. Equal oppertunity you know. My problem is the lake I fish most is full of gar. They are pretty rough on your shinners. I thought about changing to something like magic bait to try limiting the number of lost minnows and thrown sets. Do any of you use any type of dough bait or something like magic bait and do you have any luck on it with yo-yo's. I used it on trotlines with some success but never on yo-yo's.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
you can still bait up with minnows for cats but just set the hook on the bottom. I've used worms on yoyos before and had good luck catching catfish.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to yo yo on Conway and baited for cats with a mixture of Catfish Charley, peanut butter and enough corn meal mix to thicken it so you could make balls about the size of marbles. We baited the yo yo's with the "special bait" and could not keep up running the yos. It stinks and is nasty but it works.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I'll warn ya in advance...don't laugh, cause I know yer gonna!!!:biggrin:

Try California Golden Delicious RAISINS!!!! they stay on the hook good, but when they start to re-hydrate, and turning purple, take em off and re-bait!!! caught lots of catfish on em !!!!!!!:thumb:

Here's another, but it takes a little work.......go to a slaughter house and buy some beef blood.........it's usually frozen, in gallon jugs....set it in the sun, and every 45 minutes to an hour, pour the liquid off..it will begin to 'gel' (congeal)..when all the liquid is gone, cut it in strips/cubes, about an inch thick or so......then place it on a piece of tin or metal, in the sun, every so often, flip it, so all sides get exposed to the sun, and it dries out......basicly, you are dehydrating it!!! it will have No smell, and will not be messy when ya handle it baiting the hook......you can also add a little oil of anise to it, when ya bait the hook...it stays on the hook well, and again it re-hydrates itself, and the smell comes back for the cats.........this was handed down from my Grandfather....and it works!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
you can still bait up with minnows for cats but just set the hook on the bottom. I've used worms on yoyos before and had good luck catching catfish.
Catfish move up at night and fishing on the bottom won't stop the gar.:frown:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'll warn ya in advance...don't laugh, cause I know yer gonna!!!:biggrin:

Try California Golden Delicious RAISINS!!!! they stay on the hook good, but when they start to re-hydrate, and turning purple, take em off and re-bait!!! caught lots of catfish on em !!!!!!!:thumb:

Here's another, but it takes a little work.......go to a slaughter house and buy some beef blood.........it's usually frozen, in gallon jugs....set it in the sun, and every 45 minutes to an hour, pour the liquid off..it will begin to 'gel' (congeal)..when all the liquid is gone, cut it in strips/cubes, about an inch thick or so......then place it on a piece of tin or metal, in the sun, every so often, flip it, so all sides get exposed to the sun, and it dries out......basicly, you are dehydrating it!!! it will have No smell, and will not be messy when ya handle it baiting the hook......you can also add a little oil of anise to it, when ya bait the hook...it stays on the hook well, and again it re-hydrates itself, and the smell comes back for the cats.........this was handed down from my Grandfather....and it works!!!!!!
Don't know about raisins but beef blood is the best bait you can use however, i don't dry mine. Go to the slaughterhouse and take a five gallon bucket and let them fill it with fresh blood...it will congeal instantly. Load up the boat, cut the blood in chunks and bait with fresh. If there are any cats around you will not be able to rest for all of the cats. I prefer limblines because them big cats will strip out your yo-yo's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts