Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear different answers concerning using Blackhorn 209 in rifles that are plunger fired such as Knights Bighorn and the older Wolverine models. Some say its just fine to use, others say it can blow the primer back towards the shooter.

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wes, I'm not sure. Western gunpowder co themselves told me no. Yesterday Knight said yes, IF my rifle had some sort of updated breech plug. Waiting to hear from Knight to discover what type BP I have and if its not the "new" type, how do I get one. Actually Western DID try to explain, its just that they got so technical with peak pressures, pressure curves that I got lost, don't want to misquote what they told me. The bottom line is though, there is a chance that when using a plunger fired 209 rifle, for the primer to be blown back in the shooters face hard enough to cause injury.

· Registered
169 Posts
I shoot bh209 out of my American knight that has the 209 conversion kit. A couple of things though. Make sure the primer is seated all the way in. Next make sure all the oil is gone from cleaning. Also I shoot power belts. I have had a misfire on the first shot after cleaning and when the primer wasn't seated all the way. This is the best powder for a muzzleloader!!!

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Currently I use loose Trip 7, 90-100 grains max, see no reason to go past this no matter what propellant I use or will use. didn't hear back from Knight yet, think I'll skip the email this time and give 'em a call. I really like my Wolverine, would like to keep it if I can use BH, otherwise I intend on using a different rifle.

· Grand Member
17,277 Posts
I really like 209, but all I've ever shot it in is my T/C Encore. Measuring the powder, by volume, 100 grs of 209 shoots to the same point of impact as 120 grs of 777 or Pyrodex. The cleanest and most consistant shooting black powder type propellant I've used. One thing, you have to use magnum 209 shotgun primers with it, specially in cold weather. I've had misfires with regular 209 shot gun primers, CCI 209M or Federal 209A have worked 100% of the time, the 209 muzzleloading primers such as Winchester Triple 7 or Remington Kleenbore are worse than the regular shot gun primers. It takes the hot magnum primers for reliable shots.

Blackhorns web site, the FAQ page has some good stuff on it.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/

· Registered
118 Posts
Would I shot Blackhorn 209 powder out of a plunger type gun ? ( I would say NO ) , Like Western Co. said it is not safe to shot there powder in a plunger type muzzle loader do to high pressures . And there is not anything holding the bolt up against the primer face solid so the pressuers will go forward not backwards toward your face .

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WW, I have a friend that also shoots a Knight Wolverine, his has a longer barrel than mine, only difference. Upon firing his will re-cock nearly every shot. Weak plunger spring or what, it would make me nervous firing his rifle.

· Registered
3,467 Posts
BH 209 specifies that your gun have an enclosed primer. My CVA Wolf has never given me any problems with BH209 and 245 gr Power belts. I measure 100 gr equivilent loads, and get good groups with it. It is all I have ever used in the gun.
I'm sold on BH 209.

· Registered
118 Posts
DEMENTED , You might want to look on the side of your friends gun and see what name it has on it , Because all the Wolverines I have ever seen all had 22 inch barrels. As for your friends gun , I believe it's OK . The plunger type gun was built to use no more than 120gr of 2f black powder or powder with equal barrel pressure like Pyrodex .To me if a person wanted to shoot BH209 powder , I would strongly suggest to them to use a break-action type gun(like a CVA Accura) or a bolt type ( like a Knight Extreme) It's like the old saying goes ,( I would rather be safe than sorry).

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Knight sent another reply seems they have a new "vented" breech plug that will in some manner make it safe to use BH in my rifle. Anyone else interested in this, I can give you the part numbers...

· Registered
1,560 Posts
I have a CVA Optima, I realize that isn't what the thread is about but it is my only experience with Blackhorn 209 powder. I tried some this year because it was all I could find (day before ML season, my fault) at the last minute. I sighted my gun and it shot pretty well. Put my gun back in the case and went hunting the next day. Clear, low humidity day, shot at a deer and had a hang fire of nearly 2 seconds. I wrote the company to complain and was told that I needed to have the breech plug from Blackhorn that was made for shooting it. I don't want a powder that requires a .209 primer and a special breech plug to ignite reliably!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.