Year to year antler growth ( Question )

Discussion in 'Trail Cams and Photography' started by BMCoats, Oct 12, 2013.

1. BMCoats

BMCoats Well-Known Member

Have a question about antlers from year to year. Last year I took a picture of a real nice 8pt, have been looking forward all year to getting my first picture of him to see if ( A. If he made it through last hunting season & B. what he grew into. I got picture this past week of a deer that I have never seen before. The more I look at this deer I notice he has the same brow tines as the big 8 I took pictures of last year. So now my question how drastic can antlers change from year to year? I know 1, 2, 3 year old deer go through a lot of changes (antlers) but I had guessed this deer at 4.5 last year so I really only expected MASS growth. What do you guys think, could these two pictures be the same deer?

Keep in mind that I am basing my opinion on his brow tines the right one more specifically...
    ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1381620819.930765.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arkansas Hunting

2. BMCoats

Sorry forgot the one from last year.. ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1381620910.643253.jpg

3. plumber

plumber Well-Known Member

YELL
    Same buck, and a good year too take em. Good luck

4. BMCoats

Why such a drastic change from last year to this year? And the question is really antler structure not really size? He was such a clean 8 and now...... Sorry to say nothing really that impressive

5. jdrake19

jdrake19 Well-Known Member

Wait, are the dates right? (I'm guessing yes.) The 2012 picture he's huge! I don't think he could shrink that much man.

6. Probably not the same deer......

7. BMCoats

Yes the dates are correct, in just under a year he has lost ..... I dont know 30"!!!! I sure hope this is not the same deer

8. Shwack

Shwack Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I don't think it is the same Buck. The antler shapes are too different. Most of the Bucks here I have followed for multiple years usually kept the same shape and gain on average 20 In. per year.

9. ouachita

ouachita Well-Known Member

Different deer for sure.

10. BMCoats

I sure hope you guys are right, I would hate for this to be the same deer....

11. tke393

tke393 Well-Known Member

Benton
    The body size is bigger and different in the older pic than in the new pic. Also the face structure is different on the two bucks. I would put all my money that the buck in 2012 is older than the new pic you have.

12. Swampboss

Swampboss Well-Known Member

99.9 % sure they are different deer...

13. dwoodyard25

dwoodyard25 Active Member

Was the deer under any stress during the late summer? Did he have adequate food supply?

14. madduck87

madduck87 Well-Known Member

you are looking at 2012 pic of daddy who is now 5.5 and 2013 pic of son who is 3ish

15. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

If it ain't the same deer...it could be his twin brother!:up:

16. jkwilhite1

jkwilhite1 Well-Known Member

Looks to be different deer to me also, but I'd guess they are related.

17. swamphuntr

swamphuntr Well-Known Member

I'd guess off spring of your stud 8

18. dudeman

dudeman Well-Known Member

Ya father son duo . It's all in the body. That new one is only a 3 yr old. Pass him and you know what he ll be next yr

19. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I have noticed over the years that the deer on the same place seem to have similar looking antlers. I think along with the others the deer this year is a different deer. They look alike because they are out of the same gene pool.

20. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

when the body gets mature, then the deer's body dedicates MORE to the antlers

he could have grown that much yes