Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday-Public/4 gun...Is it just me or are yall seeing a ton of shovelers this year?? I like to shoot BIG ducks like the next guy, but these little suckers in groups of 10-20 swarming you can make for a fun shoot!!

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Seeing the same thing in our lease in Wabasekka. Started out with lots of GW Teal with a few shovlers in the first split, moved to Smiling Mallards (aka shovlers) with a few mallards, now, a real mixed bag of shovlers, mallards and gadwalls. Have killed a few pintales as well, but not as many as I hear others killing.

· Banned
6,918 Posts
Of all the ducks I have eaten, I favor Shovel Bills the best. Wood Ducks come in second, then Mallards. But for eating.....................that is, if I have to eat duck, I prefe, shoveler's. I will eat duck...................if I cant kill another creature to eat first.

That's the main reason I quit duck hunting. I just couldn't see killing all those birds I didn't really like to eat. It is fun shooting them though! :up:

· Registered
4,120 Posts
We had a spoonie spanking the past three days. We also covered in sprigs!! We'd shoot those then max out on spoons. We could shoot hundreds. Not sure how the GA boys are doing across the river but shooting going on like crazy!!!

· Registered
617 Posts
I'm with you guys..we have shot over 200 smilers out of our pit this season, its ridiculous. This 3rd season we have been covered up in pins as well! Limit on those and then spoonie smackdown time with the mix in of a few mallards, teal, widgeon..

· Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes alot of Pintails too this year!..The reason I brought this up, in years past field hunting usually would shoot a couple spoonies and wouldnt really see all that many...from previous threads about the "I-40 bean fields" which I drive by everyday I noticed that of the few hundred birds out there 90% are shoveler when in the past its mostly covered in mallard and pintail..just an abundance of them this year seems like, but like me and a friend were saying... this is the "year of the duck" similar to the 99 and 04 season! I like what others have said if you havent been killing ducks this year you are doing something wrong, because ducks are plentiful!! Good luck to everyone these last couple weeks!!

· Registered
4,120 Posts
Good luck to you too brother!!!

We lit two groups of sprigs yesterday of 50 or more!!! Been hunting from Predators and they were at our boots!!!!

Got a week off then I'm done for the year I guess...... but it may be one dandy of a week!!!!!

· Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good luck to you too brother!!!

We lit two groups of sprigs yesterday of 50 or more!!! Been hunting from Predators and they were at our boots!!!!

Got a week off then I'm done for the year I guess...... but it may be one dandy of a week!!!!!
Now thats a alot of Pintails!! ...as they say thats Flying Grace right there! lol....If season ended today I couldnt be happier with the season Ive had, but a couple more good hunts will be icing on the cake!

· Premium Member
30,926 Posts
The fewest spooners I have ever seen in SW AR where I hunt. Pintails are an endangered species here also. Come to think about it, since the big rain a week ago Tuesday - all ducks are endangered species. By far most of what I have seen are mallards and gadwalls.

· Registered
385 Posts
Of all the ducks I have eaten, I favor Shovel Bills the best. Wood Ducks come in second, then Mallards. But for eating.....................that is, if I have to eat duck, I prefe, shoveler's. I will eat duck...................if I cant kill another creature to eat first.

That's the main reason I quit duck hunting. I just couldn't see killing all those birds I didn't really like to eat. It is fun shooting them though! :up:
How can anyone not like a big fat mallard to eat, it's like ribeye from the sky!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.