Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting in a creekbottom this morning.About 11oclock,.The Skeeters came out eatin me up.I thought they was gonna suck all my blood out.I left and went to another area.Was'nt much better there.I think I like the cooler weather turkey hunting.I'm thinking about getting a Bugsuit.

·
Super Moderator
9,915 Posts
If I even see one, I bust out my Thermacell.

Have been getting eaten up by ticks though.

Turkey season's been so bad for me, that I went fishing all day today.

The fishing was just as crappy.

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
Huntin in the bottoms & one would think the sketters would be unbearable but they are few & far between. The only think I can figure is all the Buffalo Knats have taken their toll on them also like they have every other living animal. I have never saw the knats so bad. This morning I was sitting on a food plot & had deer after deer come running by just trying to find some relief from these winged devils. There was 3 turkeys that came into the plot, all hens, that acted like they were getting eats up by them. I have never saw turkeys flap their wings & shake their heads as much as they did. They have started find some dead deer in the area & most likely the knats are the root cause. Nothing to base this on but I personally feel this may be affecting the turkeys also. If the knats are attacking the turkeys like they are attacking every other living animal, gobbling might be the last thing they have on their minds.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
I don't know where y'all been, but I been gettin bit for over a month now!
That's what I'm sayin!
The dang gnats are tough here too.
Skeeters weren't as bad in the Ouachitas as down here but they were still pretty thick on the mountain side Friday morning.
We haven't had much problem with ticks down here and they about carried me off up on the mountains. I thought that to be a bit odd.
While not really related to the bugs, I did notice that the Mt. Ida area is at least a week and a half or more behind Bradley County as far as green up is concerned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Huntindoc, I was told last week that artificial vanilla flavoring will keep them off you. Do not use the real stuff, it won't work. I don't know if it works but i'm going in the woods next time with a bottle of it in my bag. They nearly ate me up down on Lake Erling last week. Thermocel is the only way to go for skeeters. Iam never without mine. Good luck. Rainbow

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Hey Tim, Vanilla Fantasy body spray at Wal-Mart will keep them off or Avon Skin-so-Soft is good at keeping the knats away too... I know guys that work in the woods every day that swear by these 2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.