Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, My War Eagle deal fell through.

Looking at a 1546 Xpress. How would I set up my 25 2 stroke Merc on it to get the most out of it?

How would this compare to the 548 WE?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I had my mercury on an express 1546 before I bought the war eagle....if I remember correctly it was the same 3/4-1" block of wood....

Cut you a 3/4" thick block about 12" long set motor down on it and transom....center the motor left to right....I always used a rubber mallet tapping on the wood....tighten hand clamps.....then in the middle pin setting position the skeg (flat plane part above prop) should be sitting 1/4 below the bottom of the transom LEVEL with the plan of the boat......this way you can move pin position up or down depending on loads and what not......if the motor is not a 1/4" below then simply adjust the thickness of the block of wood to make it there

oh and on the express.....don't make a sharp turn wide open.....like driving a race car on ice

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
The newer ones isn't suppose to slid with the new hull it's is suppose to hand like a bass boat .
the new ones don't slide....the old ones....3/4 - full throttle was like a skipping flat rock....been hairy a few times when I had mine....throttle down and turn then back up....never an issue

·
Registered
112 Posts
The older Xpress boats were known to slide in/on turns... I never felt in danger or out of control though on the 2 older Xpress boats I had ('00 15' & '03 16'). With enough (not much) time driving & handling it, I was able to get used to the slide and adjust for it in turns.

I mean it wasnt ideal, but it wasnt enough for me to buy a different boat the 2nd time around, or pass up a good deal on an older Xpress if I was to buy one today.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've owned nothing , but flat bottoms so sliding ain't noting to me . I would probably think something was wrong if I didn't slide .

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'm in the market for a new boat so it's between Excel , Xpress , and War Eagle . I'm just weighing my odds and price shopping .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the market for a new boat so it's between Excel , Xpress , and War Eagle . I'm just weighing my odds and price shopping .
3 good boats... Id do just like you & buy whichever I felt had the best deal... + find which dealer you like the best. A cheaper deal on the front end isnt always the best deal if the dealer doesnt take care of you / your boat down the road. Id pay a little extra knowing Id get good customer service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts