Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than dress in layers for the 30 degree temp shifts, anyone have any advice for hunting mountain birds?

We will be on leased private land and pointed in the right direction, but will be allowed to do our own calling and make most decisions.

From hunting SD, I know those Merriams will sure travel to a call and I know their gobble is deceptively quieter than a hard gobbling eastern. I don't know much else.

What I do know is I AM PUMPED and ready to go get another white tipped bird! Lost my last fan when we had a freezer go out.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Ooooh man, that's awesome. I've chased the white tips in MT and NE, both in mountainous terrain.... places I never thought I would ever see a bird, I saw them.

My advice would be look at a place and say "There will be birds here tomorrow!" Then promptly go to an adjacent place that looks like no bird would be there and you will kill one!

Honestly, I employed the same tactics as I do around here. Get on their level, or above them and call. But what I found was scouting the area was uber beneficial because you could see where they went and where you could get in front of them.

Go get em JR1!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Arkansas Hunting mobile app

·
Premium Member
24,737 Posts
I said that about a 410 and TSS.. shooting them 50 yards..

Lot of open country in Wyoming, Nebraska,
North Dakota..

Some places Turkey are called a Nusience..

The open country they can see ya a mile..

If it legal.its Legal..not saying you have to use the Tool..

But it's their if a Person Needs it...

Thought the same until I hunted out their...

We hunted on a Ranch 7 miles..you could drive and never go through another Gate or Road...for 7 miles..

·
Registered
26,978 Posts
I said that about a 410 and TSS.. shooting them 50 yards..

Lot of open country in Wyoming, Nebraska,
North Dakota..

Some places Turkey are called a Nusience..

The open country they can see ya a mile..

If it legal.its Legal..not saying you have to use the Tool..

But it's their if a Person Needs it...

Thought the same until I hunted out their...

We hunted on a Ranch 7 miles..you could drive and never go through another Gate or Road...for 7 miles..
TSS ≠ .17 uncle Jackie.

·
Member On Double Secret Probation
29,359 Posts
Something I learned last week in SD and NE is find a creek bottom with water in it... then once they hit the ground put on your running shoes..... especially if they have hens!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I’ve been watching Birds by my office in Wyoming And they are still grouped up till mid day.
It will be chilly in the morning but should warm quick.
Be prepared for wind, it the leeward side of hills.
It has also been rolling a few storms in the afternoon, might not last long but will lighting for quite awhile.
Good luck !

·
Premium Member
24,737 Posts
Can hunt with a 22 Mag...Out the Truck Window..
Don't knock it until you try it..

Good Hunting..

Will be Right behind you..on my way...

Maybe have coffee and a Donut....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts