WTB 7mm mag or maybe 270 short mag bolt action

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by cbrown907, Jan 1, 2011.

1. cbrown907

cbrown907 Well-Known Member

Looking for a good used rifle. Gonna be a hunting rifle so I would consider any condition. Mainly interested in remington 700s (SPS, BDL, CDL), a-bolts, x-bolts or model 70s.

PM or post here with what you got.

2. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

i shoot a rem 700 in 270wsm. 130gr BST and the days of trailing deer will be over

3. cbrown907

tough choice

I am struggling between the two. The ballistics are virtually the same and I do like the idea of a short action. The only thing drawing me to the 7mm mag is ammo availability and cost. Much cheaper and easier to get. I may end up building me a 700 if I can find a good action.

4. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

Look at some of the ballistics on the Hornady Superformance ammo. I've always thought the 7 mm Rem. mag. was underloaded. Not with the Hornady.

5. jsilver919

I originally wanted a 7mag but a buddy beat me to buying one so i did some looking and came upon the 270wsm. i think the 7mag is more versitile. i have never seen anything bigger than 150gr for the 270 where as with the 7mag there are.

it works fine for me though. i wanted a deer rifle and thats what this is. i love the short action too. if i were gonna hunt elk, moose etc i'll get a 300wsm
    '
    as far as ammo availability goes i have only went looking for it 1 time and couldnt find it at wal-mart. they "always" have winchester BST. More ppl shooting the 270 store will start carrying more of their ammo.

6. Holmes

Holmes Well-Known Member

Ft. Thompsons has 270 short all the time........

7. shootemagain

shootemagain Well-Known Member

pm sent your way........

8. rtipton

rtipton Well-Known Member

LR
    Would you be interested in a Weatherby Mark V stainless in 7mm Rem Mag?

9. jsilver919

heck there is a 300wsm on here for sale that wouldnt be a bad one. its a model 70 though and i know you were wanting a 700 but if the price is rite......

10. cbrown907

rtipton sent you a PM.

Jsilver a model 70 would be just fine. Just after a solid bolt gun. Not really interested in the 300 WSM but you are correct if the price is right that may change things. I had a chance to buy a super shadow model 70 7mm WSM at the gun show last weekend for $300. Probably should have bought it...That was a great deal.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011