Would You Vote For A Mormon?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by johnf, Jan 3, 2008.

Would you vote for a Mormon over a Christian?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2008.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    80.3%
  1. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Would you vote for a Mormon over a Christian in the primary?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  2. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

3. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    Uhhhh, isn't a Mormon a Christian? They believe in Christ, thus making them Christian.

Amy

4. CP

CP Well-Known Member

SA
    :smack: Perhaps we should first learn the proper spelling....:smack:

5. jerry dean

jerry dean Suspended Permanently

Marmon's are too bad, but I'd prefer a Peterbuilt.

6. crosscohunter

crosscohunter Well-Known Member

Yes, I would vote for a Mormon. Mormons are Christians and believe that Jesus Christ is their Saviour. If you want to know what a Mormon believes, don't ask someone of another faith or go to an anti-Mormon website, ask a Mormon or go to their website www.lds.org.

7. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

That's why I said no.....haha! Who knows what in the heck a MORMAN is! :eek: :thumb:

8. jerry dean

Didn't they raid Rome in the 10th century?

9. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

With today's choices I think I would have to base my judgement on his thoughts on issues and his character, but I will not vote for a Muslim.

I did not vote.

10. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

Don't go by the words of Mr. Smith, go by the words of Jesus Christ. The testament of Jesus Christ is told in full with the Bible.
    Beware If Mr. Smith's words don't line up with the words of Jesus. The Mormon's say they have another testament of Jesus Christ. Beware!!! That doesn't just go with Mr. Smiths words, that goes for everyones words.

Here are some of the Mormon teachings.

You can discover for yourself that what you’ve been learning is true by:

Sincerely praying? to your Heavenly Father and asking Him if what you are learning is true. Jesus has told you the truth in his Word.

Continuing to study and give thoughtful consideration to what you are learning.

Listening with your heart for the Holy Ghost to whisper the truth to you. Jesus has told you the truth in his Word.

Following God’s commandments? so you can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost.

11. BuzzBait

BuzzBait Well-Known Member

Thats right...And If I cant have more than one wife....He cant either....:smack: :eek: :biggrin:

Maybe thats a different religion......:razz:

12. Lonnie

Lonnie Well-Known Member

I went to the website but it didn't explain anything about why they have to get a new name inorder to get into heaven as they are taught.

13. jerry dean

Who in the world would want 2 wives??? 1 wife and a girlfriend is PLENTY!!:biggrin:

14. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

crosscohunter - are you a Mormon? As a former Mormon, I believe I can speak from some level of experience.

While Mormonism (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) uses the name of Christ in their official name, they are most definitely Christian my my definition of the term. First, they do not look at Jesus Christ the same way that "Christians" do - they do not view Christ as part of the triune single God - but as a literal offspring (and brother of Satan). Mormonism does not interpret John 1 to portray Christ as "The Word".

Mormonism was started by a disgruntled young man who was not happy with what the Christian Churches were teaching, so he invented a religion based upon alleged visits by an angel named Moroni who helped him interpret plates that were burried that supposedly described Jesus Christ's literal ministry in the New World to the natives at a much earlier time. What is strange about that is that while the Bible and its component parts have been handed down from writings that go back to the time in question, the Mormon additional "scriptures" were miraculously unveiled on golden plates that were here for a short time, translated with Moroni's help (and a pair of magic eye glasses), and then taken away. While Christianity's Bible has parallels in the secular historical records of the time, the only accounts of a Jesus ministering to Native Americans comes from the John Smith writings (or supposed translation of golden plates).

The concept of Heaven and even of Salvation actually taught in the LDS church is very different from any denomination of Christianity I have studied or experienced. ANd many teachings that are introduced through the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrines and Covenants directly conflict with Jesus Christ's teachings in the Old Testament of the Bible.

While I do not seek to start a debate regarding the validity, cult status, or other classification of Mormonism (and the fact that Mormons themselves until only the last decade or so adamantly separated themselves from Christianity - specifically teaching that the are NOT Christians and actually getting pretty upset if called Christians), I do seek to clarify the argument so that people do not make false assumptions pro or con.

And I have enough reasons to not vote for Romney, even if I completely ignore his Mormon faith. Now that might be a more valid topic for debate... is he Presidential material?

Oh - and Romney would still be better than Hillary (or any other of the Democrats). But I still don't want him as POTUS.

15. bett_lou

bett_lou Moderator<br>Campfire<br>Humor & Games<br>'07 Deer

I have a sister that moved to Utah. Her husband works for Campbell Science there. They had lived there for one month, didn't know anybody except the neighbors next door, and my sister had a snow skiing accident and had to be rescued from the mountain.

The mormans were so good to her and my BIL. The neighborhoos took turns cooking dinner for them and running errands.

I went to stay a week with her after her 2nd surgery. I met several of her neighbors and they are some good folks.

16. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Neither of those rang any bells....how about a Jewish Democrat:confused: Arent they the ones that hate to spend money:cool: :razz:

17. millennium man

millennium man Well-Known Member

I had a good friend in college that was Mormon and he was an excellent friend to me. When I questioned him about his church he explained that it was not that different from what most christians believed and I was starting to believe him until he started talking about how they believe Jesus christ came to the americas after his ressurection and that they believed that was a book that was left out of the bible. I was always taught that nothing should be added or taken away from the bible. Although I still consider him a good friend and would do anything for him, I think what he believes is incorrect JMO I am sure he feels the same about what I think but I feel like if the lord wanted to include any more text in the bible it would have been there from the start just like all the other books of the bible. JMO

18. Redcloud35

Redcloud35 Well-Known Member

Not in the Primary.:biggrin:

19. JED

JED Well-Known Member

Used to live amongst the Mormons in Idaho. They are very helpful to strangers. We could listen to the president of BYU teach each day on television. Some of their teachings include: Jesus and Satan are brothers, you can be baptized for your ancestors if you are not sure they were saved, if you leave the "church" who will be baptized for one of your ancestors so they can enter heaven, at one time they taught the Indians were a lost tribe of Isreal, another thing they used to teach is the blacks were cursed by God and Satan because they would not chose sides in the beginning. The above teachings are not Biblical.

20. yjjeeper

yjjeeper Well-Known Member

lost
    I'd vote for a Mormon before I'd vote for anyone who supports abortion!!!