Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a deer one of my friends just killed. Being a heavy 6 point he's legal in AR. However, he wouldn't be under the 4X4 slot. His live weight was 180# and his spread was 18 1/2". His age was estimated at 4 1/2. We are skeptical that he was going to improve if he was let walk. Should he have been culled when younger to allow deer with better genes to reproduce?

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Unless I was in a 4X4 area, then you betcha I'd have shot him.

Assuming all you say about him was true, then you should have no reason to feel bad about taking him out of the herd. He may have grown another point or two, but that 6 pt. frame would probably always be dominant in him.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is much the same feeling we had. The deer was harvested from a soybean farm with plenty of hard woods. The deer herd there has plenty of protein. If this is his rack at his age and body weight, we felt he wouldn't grow many more points.

·
Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
21,545 Posts
what are you hunting for ? if that buck fits what YOU are hunting for, then shoot. if he doesn't then don't

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
Every time I draw one of the permit hunts on Hobbs, they do a survey. The last question is always, "Would you approve of a 4 point rule?" This is the reason I always put NO! (I've got a 6 point on my wall thats durn near as big as that one)

·
Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br
11,495 Posts
Not only would I have shot him, but he would be going onto my wall. That has got to be one of the biggest six pointers that I have ever saw.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only reason why he wouldn't be on my wall would be buck fever.This why I don't support a 4 point anything rule.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts