Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....that wasn't gobbling. You know...the one that just happened to be walking by the tree you were leaning up against....one that you didn't call in.

I guess this question is for the non-jake shooting, gotta call-up, turkey shooters.

·
Super Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2013
3,922 Posts
oh i love it. stir that stick a little.

the only gobbler i killed last year was at about 40 steps...after i flushed him out of a thicket. 2 in the afternoon and walking and calling trying to get one fired up but nothing made a peep. then i walk up on a gobbler a ridge over all by itself. so when that thing cleared the trees i dropped the hammer on him. (after identifying him as a mature tom as he taxied down the runway)

shifty

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have never killed a turkey so I dont care if I call it in or walks up or it sticks its head in my barrell. Jakes heck yeah I will shoot one I just wish I could see one.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I was headed to a spot where the birds liked to go after everyone cleared the woods. I knew where it was because come 10am they would start gobbling and everyone else was back at camp. I figured where they roosted and where they were headed. I figured they would head to the clover patch after everyone left. The others had been riding up on top of the mountain and then would start calling. I parked at the base like I had been and started walking the long way to get there, 1.5 miles even though it was only 1/2 mile straight up. I planned on getting there about 9:30 and just wait for them to start since I knew where they wanted to be anyway. I made it to within 80 yards of the clover patch and there they were, already there. I was in the road which was lined with high weeds that I could back in far enough to hide and still see through. 3 Strutters came out and 2 hens. When they turned I eased down and backed out. I took off my gear and laid it down and crawled up the road to a curve. When I eased my head over a little rise a hen was about 20 yards away and looking right at me, I didn't even take a breath. She went back to feeding and headed my direction. I crawled backwards and propped up in the weed edge. I saw two strutters headed my way or her way rather and flipped the safety off. She stepped out at 15 steps on my side of the road and yelped, here the boys came. When the lead ones head popped over the rise at 20 steps I yelped...I clucked...I putted and finally shot the sucker in full strut at 18 steps. The hen was inside of 15 steps when I shot, she likely cannot hear still. I didn't call him in, I knew where they were but I bushwacked him plain and simple. I smiled all the way back to the truck.

·
Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
I was headed to a spot where the birds liked to go after everyone cleared the woods. I knew where it was because come 10am they would start gobbling and everyone else was back at camp. I figured where they roosted and where they were headed. I figured they would head to the clover patch after everyone left. The others had been riding up on top of the mountain and then would start calling. I parked at the base like I had been and started walking the long way to get there, 1.5 miles even though it was only 1/2 mile straight up. I planned on getting there about 9:30 and just wait for them to start since I knew where they wanted to be anyway. I made it to within 80 yards of the clover patch and there they were, already there. I was in the road which was lined with high weeds that I could back in far enough to hide and still see through. 3 Strutters came out and 2 hens. When they turned I eased down and backed out. I took off my gear and laid it down and crawled up the road to a curve. When I eased my head over a little rise a hen was about 20 yards away and looking right at me, I didn't even take a breath. She went back to feeding and headed my direction. I crawled backwards and propped up in the weed edge. I saw two strutters headed my way or her way rather and flipped the safety off. She stepped out at 15 steps on my side of the road and yelped, here the boys came. When the lead ones head popped over the rise at 20 steps I yelped...I clucked...I putted and finally shot the sucker in full strut at 18 steps. The hen was inside of 15 steps when I shot, she likely cannot hear still. I didn't call him in, I knew where they were but I bushwacked him plain and simple. I smiled all the way back to the truck.
I bushwack 80% of the turkeys I kill. I love it!!!

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
I'll take a gobbler anyway I can get him as long as it is legal!Folks that say they wont shoot one unless they call it in sure dont hunt the part of the Ouahitas I do!

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
Those are some great resoponses. Thanks for the laugh!

I have shot them like that, and I've let them walk. I've killed more like that than I've let walk, just depends on my mood.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Shoot one? Heck, I'd dang near swerve into the ditch to try and run one over with my truck if given the chance.
As a matter of fact, one year while coming home from a school fuction I came very close to getting a huge gobbler with a baseball bat.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Not killed one myself. But on the public land I deer hunt we see lots of em all the time. Going to give it a shot this year. Starting today, I'm in training.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts