Would you report someone you suspected of deer hunting out of season?

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by fish, Jan 8, 2008.

Would you report violators in your area?(OUT OF SEASON HUNTING)

Poll closed May 7, 2008.
  1. YES

80.1%
  2. NO

7.4%
  3. UNSURE

12.5%
  1. fish

fish Well-Known Member

A group of locals were running dogs and were suspected of hunting deer out of season. I heard they lined the highway like trying to head off a race. The story was a person living close to the spot called the WO.
    The group of hunters were checked and said they were Rabbit hunting. They had heard on the radio the WO was at their truck before they rode up on ATV's. They suspected me of calling in , which I did not. The one was mad and said people should mind their own :censored: business. I calmly told then I did'nt call but if I saw anyone deer hunting I would asap.:wink: IF THEY WERE JUST RABBIT HUNTING WHY WERE THEY SO MAD ABOUT GETTING CHECKED ?

2. millennium man

millennium man Well-Known Member

Were you there when the WO actually checked them? I wonder if they all had shotguns and what kinda shells they had on them? I guess since they had the heads up that the WO was at their truck they could have ditched any buckshot! I probably would have called if I thought they were deer hunting! JMO

3. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

I have worked pretty close with WO's on this problem. You need to be sure you have something positive rather than just suspicion or opinion. :thumb:

4. fish

fish Well-Known Member

I was not around but live just up the highway. A resident along the area told me and I talked to another that was in the group of hunters . Did'nt even know the old guy was in the group. The poaching is nothing new to this area. They said the hunt was for Rabbits. These WO will have a tough time catching anyone using radios(scanners ,CB, and Marine bands) and ATV's . They could scatter ahead with warning on the radios. Even if they were innocent ,maybe it will make others think about trying something. The word travels fast in these parts.:wink:

5. fish

fish Well-Known Member

Yes I would never call unless illegal firearms are present or see them shoot at deer.:wink: But if I call ,I like to have all the info . That is what's illegal, time ,place, vehicles , and names when possiable.:wink: But be prepared as I have been threatened in the past for doing just this.:mad:

6. whiteoak

whiteoak Well-Known Member

You bet I would.

7. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Well-Known Member

The oringinal question and the Thread title are different ..:confused: I voted yes if I KNEW someone was Deer hunting Illegally...But that is Different than I suspect someone is Deerhunting Illegally!!

8. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

Great point. But if I know for a fact someone's poaching, I'm calling it in.

9. firehog

firehog Well-Known Member

The AGFC meeting tonight said something about a witness class/program of some sort. Where they will be giving classes on how to be a good witness on these poaching violations. From what I understand they are gonna instruct us in what they are gonna need to prosecute these game violations successfully. How to go about reporting things and what you need to have to report things. This might be a very helpful deal for folks in high poaching areas or really anywhere.

10. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    Once you become a good witness, are they also going to instruct you on how to prevent this scum from burning your house down after you testify against them in court?? :confused:

11. ozark outdoorsman

ozark outdoorsman Account Suspended

I would everytime, if they were just rabbit hunting then so be it. But if I thought they deer hunting out of season, I would at least call the Warden and inform him, he can then decide what happens next.

12. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

+1:smack:

13. Matt_W

Matt_W Well-Known Member

I would report it. All the hard work I put in to be legal, they can put in also.

14. firehog

I don't know but arson will surely get them a reserved room at the pooky.

15. rjet

rjet Well-Known Member

If they get caught:smack:
    Ask thumper how much time the arsonist got that burned down their cabin in hamburg.
    nadda

16. It would depend on the situation. If it was someone from an extremely poor family , who was hunting for food for his family.... I would be hard pressed to turn him in. BUT if it was Joe Bubba Smith, who saw a big racked buck before the season started, and just wanted the rack as a prize...... Damn right I would. I would be hitting speed dial and waving a banner when the officer arrived.

But thats just me.

17. firehog

Had there been a problem with someone prior to the burning?

18. huntin4bb

huntin4bb Well-Known Member

A dozen cans of spam to feed your family a few days is cheaper than a rifle, and shells. I understand that there are poor folks around, but there are programs that feed them. They dont have to hunt illegally. When was the last time your read in the newspaper that someone ACTUALLY starved to death. It dont happen.

19. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I understand what your saying but I know a few people that weren't always in that "extremely poor" situation and already had said rifle. I've not bought spam in a while but I don't imagine a box of core-lokts are that much more than a dozen cans of Spam and that box of shells could provide a lot more to eat than them 12 cans of Spam. Just another way to look at it.

BTW....just because there is programs doesn't necessarily mean you can get on them, I've seen that as well.

20. CP

CP Well-Known Member

SA