Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 18 acre field that is not planted this year. Was thinking about planting oats and wheat possibly. The deer gorge themselves on soybeans until harvest and then I usually run 4 feeders.

The field location is on a separate piece of property about a mile from where I usually hunt. The block of ag fields is about 1000 acres and the 18 acres borders a slough and a little timber, but have not seen a huge deer population on that tract of land over the past years.

Do yall think it would be worth it to put the time and money in to plant this area?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plant it in late maturing beans in about 2 weeks. You won't be able to keep the deer out of it after harvest when they're still green....that's JMHO....
I had thought about that as well. Have some left over beans from this year, so might just got that route. Only problem is watering them, having to depend on rain because 600 yards of poly pipe is out of the question.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
If you have access to equipment then I'd scratch it and plant it with a buggy behind a tractor. Scratch it back in if you want but if there's a decent chance of rain after you plant I wouldn't worry about it. 100lbs/ac of wheat will do just fine.

·
Premium Member
29,976 Posts
If you have free beans - you could plant it now and if they don't make, come back in the end of Sept and hit it again with wheat. I would worry about beans having time to put on pods this late in the year, when it has been so dry anyway. If they don't make beans, they you wont have anything for the deer to feed on late fall and winter. Wheat will provide something to eat from Oct all the way through.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Plant the beans, once the neighboring crops dry down if there are many deer they'll probably clean up your beans. If they don't broadcast your wheat or oates in the beans, after a good shower they'll come up. Or mow the beans after you broadcast the oates. Fly the Oates on for $7.50 an acre.

·
Premium Member
29,976 Posts
I would be afraid all my effort would be for nothing in this part of the state. We have not had a drop of rain in 20 days, near 100 degree heat, and no rain in the forecast. Not exactly planting weather.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be afraid all my effort would be for nothing in this part of the state. We have not had a drop of rain in 20 days, near 100 degree heat, and no rain in the forecast. Not exactly planting weather.
We got like 2.5 inches Friday morning, and like 3 more the week before at the farm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.