Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
I cant wrap my mind around killing a deer with an air rifle. Of course, I quit playing with BB guns when I got old enough to shoot big guns.. So, maybe there are enough advancements in the last 20 years to get the job done.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I would if I had to. Much of the airgun hunting videos I've seen seem to be geared more toward proving the it can be done more than showing any real practical reason to do it. I watched a hunt where a guy killed a decent sized boar with a .177 airgun, but he was mostly trying to convince people to buy these incredibly expensive pellets he was using. But in the end, guns are cool whether they go bang, boom, poof, or pew pew pew.

Meriwether Lewis had what seems like a pretty nice airgun. http://lewisandclarktrail.com/lewisairgun.htm

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would if I had to. Much of the airgun hunting videos I've seen seem to be geared more toward proving the it can be done more than showing any real practical reason to do it. I watched a hunt where a guy killed a decent sized boar with a .177 airgun, but he was mostly trying to convince people to buy these incredibly expensive pellets he was using. But in the end, guns are cool whether they go bang, boom, poof, or pew pew pew.

Meriwether Lewis had what seems like a pretty nice airgun. http://lewisandclarktrail.com/lewisairgun.htm
Thanks for sharing that video. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
439 Posts
One of the links above referenced a 35 caliber airgun,at 735 fps.
People will start frothing at the mouth,and gnashing their teeth if you say anything about hunting deer with a 357 magnum at 1200 fps,as inadequate.

·
Premium Member
Commish Weld
22,884 Posts
I have no doubt in my military mind that hunting with airguns is all about getting closer for a shot rather than the long shot. Shot placement would be critical as well. The guys who I have read about killing deer with an airgun, took great care in bullet selection. One guy even had a mold made to cast bullets so they would perform more consistently out of his AG.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would not.

There are certainly big bore airguns that are capable of humanely taking deer/pig/elk sized game but I don't see an advantage to doing so with an airgun. The use of airguns will be restricted to "gun" seasons, the cost of a quality big bore airgun is equal to or sometimes more expensive than a quality powder burning rifle, and the effective range/versatility of an airgun vs a modern powder burning rifle is WAY less. While I have no doubts that they would be equally as effective as a bow in similar ranges as a bow, they don't offer some of the advantages that bows offer either like stealth, smaller/lighter pack size, extended seasons, etc.

I'm a strong advocate for every gun enthusiast and hunter to own a higher end airgun (not what you find in big box stores, but $350+ airguns). They make trigger time cheap and accessible (even indoors and no shortage of pellets has ever been reported). They are quiet and don't recoil making it easier to teach fundamentals to women, children, and new shooters. They, because of the lower power, can be used for pest control and small game hunting around homes, cattle, etc where you might otherwise be a little shy to whip out a .22. They are truly a very useful tool and certainly worth investing in at least one quality airgun, but as for big bore hunting airguns I just don't see many advantages.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.