Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid it wouldn't run shallow enough in the rivers - and is a 25 hp good enough for a 1748 boat ?

Opinions PLEASE !!

1992 Weldbilt all welded 17 ft 48in no leaks what so ever custom built floor and upper deck with a built in live well.have anchor life vest
25 hp Johnson with recent water pump and carb rebuild. New plugs and wires runs great!
All galvanized trailer with Goodyear tires decent tread left.
Comes with Bimini top 2 deep cycle trolling batteries and starting battery for motor.
Minnkota trolling motor only a year old

·
Registered
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no interest in going fast - and the 20' fiberglass river boats run 9.9 or 15's ...... but they're normally like what, 36-40"

Yeah I'm wondering if its not a bit under horsed .... but he says its a 20 mph boat and runs in 18" of water

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'd get in Red River or upper white , but I wouldn't get in the white down here . When I go up to Norfork Trout Resort theirs is every bit 17 with a 9.9 and do fine .

·
Registered
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right Mike - think Buffalo River on the White down to Calico area, (with minimal flow now too this might work well even with no generators running ??) and the Little Red from Dam down 10-15 miles or so ..... but a boat I can take to Greer's and crappie fish, or local lakes in central AR

maybe not Conway though ?? but then that lake is so full of stumps anything but a 14 foot and TM is in danger of hanging up !!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you're trout fishing, 25 hp is more than enough. If not, then I'd say you'd be doing just fine if not looking for speed. Lower unit on that one will make it difficult in shallow water. Buddy of mine has a fiberglass trout boat with a 25 hp that will flat out scoot down the river in shallow water (like less than knee deep). No way I'd run my Xpress through that stuff. Long boat helps transfer the load in shallow water, but don't expect great speeds.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think it will be fine on the upper white even with one unit running. Just keep it in the deeper areas and you will be fine. I ran a 4 stroke 25 Yamaha on a 22 X36 Ouchita for several years, The lower unit on that boat is no different that the other same model johnsons. It will be fine!!

Matter of fact one of the last places I would run it would be from Buffalo City to Calico, when its just one unit that area has a lot of skeg breakers.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
That will run fine as a trout or whatever else boat. Being flat and wide on the bottom means you need less horsepower to plane out and keep it there than a v or semi v. If that boat has a good price on it, I'd say go for it. One suggestion I have is I'd try and block it up an inch or two if the prop will still bite. You can invest in a piece of 2x4 and a prop designed to run at the surface of the water and you'd have a heck of a little river rig.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
That will run fine as a trout or whatever else boat. Being flat and wide on the bottom means you need less horsepower to plane out and keep it there than a v or semi v. If that boat has a good price on it, I'd say go for it. One suggestion I have is I'd try and block it up an inch or two if the prop will still bite. You can invest in a piece of 2x4 and a prop designed to run at the surface of the water and you'd have a heck of a little river rig.
X2 I had one just like it and it worked just fine..........it will run a little faster than the 20 river boats with a 15hp

·
Registered
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what would ya'll consider a good price ?

I'm thinking of making an offer - worse case scenario is I'll have to go trade that motor for a short shaft later on - but the boat itsself looks nice

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
what would ya'll consider a good price ?

I'm thinking of making an offer - worse case scenario is I'll have to go trade that motor for a short shaft later on - but the boat itsself looks nice
That's not a short shaft boat... unless there's a tunnel hidden under there. You don't want to run a short shaft motor on a long shaft boat (though, I know a certain mega man that does.) It looks like the cav plate is right where it's "supposed" to be right now. You could always put a CMC 35 on it. It's a little expensive but sure handy.

I'd offer $2500-$2700 as it sits. Weldbuilts are not expensive by any means and you can come by those little Johnson motors all day long. If he's asking much more than that, he doesn't know the market.

·
Registered
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can have that boat for $2500-2700 ..... I can trade an AR15 I have and maybe only $1250 or so cash too, and that's as cheap as I can think of to get in a 1748 boat that is nice, motor runs well etc.

I think I might go tomorrow and look/buy :biggrin:

THANKS for the opinions guys, it matters

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Stealthy.......take off the canopy and that looks like my boat and motor. I fish the White, 'Fork, Ouachita and Little Red Rivers and Nimrod, Ouachita, DeGray, Hamilton and a few other lakes with no problems. I have only gotten stuck in it once on the White on the first shoal downriver from the mouth of the 'Fork when they had no units running on either river. Just got out, got my feet wet, and pulled it to deeper water. Gave $2700 for my boat couple years ago.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I fish the places you are talking about with a smaller narrower boat with a 25 and have only destroyed 1 lower unit. My boat most certainly drafts a little deeper than that boat.
I don't try to run fast unless they are generating. If I was looking for a boat to fish the trout rivers It would have a jet foot on it If you plan on running far with no generation.
That boat would be a good all around boat for your program and sounds fairly priced. It won't run some of the shoals when the water is off though.
Those original shawnee boats don't have a flat chine in the back. They have a pad on the bottom below the motor bracket that makes a hump behind the boat on the water that allows for the motor to be mounted higher than normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts