Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator<br>Help Forum<br>
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I just want to get this out there; I have no delusions that I am even remotely good enough to really compete in a tournament. I just think they sound fun and would like to try some out. I'm very new to shooting but enjoy it very much.

Where is the best place to start? I am located just outside of Heber Springs and can't really afford to travel a long way to a shoot.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
DON"T DO IT!!!! You will become an addict. Just say no.

Just kidding of course, it is a blast. Oh, and if you can fling an arrow, you can shoot good enough. I'm not sure where to go in your area, but find out what is close and just go. When you sign in, tell them you are new and they can hook you up with a group that will give you some pointers along the way. The rules are pretty simple and once you shoot a course you will have that part down. Most 3D folks love to get someone new started, so don't be bashful about asking for some help. Wish I was closer, I'd just tell you to come on and go with me.

Half the game is being able to judge yardage. If you can't do it, you will learn. If you can, you will get better at it.

Take some binos if you have them. Not required, but they help you.

Use a hip quiver if you have one, get the quiver off the bow and you will shoot better. It is also a lot easier to just drop the arrows into a tube type quiver.

Don't be afraid to loose an arrow, or get one banged up.

Just have fun.:up:

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DON"T DO IT!!!! You will become an addict. Just say no.

Just kidding of course, it is a blast. Oh, and if you can fling an arrow, you can shoot good enough. I'm not sure where to go in your area, but find out what is close and just go. When you sign in, tell them you are new and they can hook you up with a group that will give you some pointers along the way. The rules are pretty simple and once you shoot a course you will have that part down. Most 3D folks love to get someone new started, so don't be bashful about asking for some help. Wish I was closer, I'd just tell you to come on and go with me.

Half the game is being able to judge yardage. If you can't do it, you will learn. If you can, you will get better at it.

Take some binos if you have them. Not required, but they help you.

Use a hip quiver if you have one, get the quiver off the bow and you will shoot better. It is also a lot easier to just drop the arrows into a tube type quiver.

Don't be afraid to loose an arrow, or get one banged up.

Just have fun.:up:
Thanks for all the info!

I have a lot of family in Lawrence and Mississippi counties so I am in your area quite a bit. I may take you up on that offer to tag along. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Ingram's archery has shoots all spring and summer in Quitman. Central Arkasas Bowhunter's shoots once a month (March thru Sept). PM me and I'll be happy to shoot with you and introduce you both to our club and the sport.

Like HillFarm said it's addictive. The best side effect is that no matter how good of shot you are you will improve by leaps and bounds. I bowhunted for 20+years before trying 3D and thought I was a decent shot.....boy was I wrong. You will learn so much you can't believe it. My confidence in hunting situations is tremendously better than before I started shooting 3D.

hd

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can also go to www.3Dshoots.com and find more shoots in your area. Like they said already it is addictive. I started shootin 3D 8 yrs ago and we shoot at least 3 weekends at a month plus we just finished up a 10 week indoor league shoot. We have made 1 big ASA tournamnt but will make more this yr. I hope. We have a little 1 that we are introducin into it, she is 15 months old and has been on the range since she was 2 months old and loves it. Well good luck in it if you do decide to do it, and you dont have to be great shot, but it will improve you shootin alot. Again good luck. If you ever get to the Mountain Home area let me know we would be happy to have you shoot with us. We will probly be runnin the Mountain Home range next yr.:cool:

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can also go to www.3Dshoots.com and find more shoots in your area. Like they said already it is addictive. I started shootin 3D 8 yrs ago and we shoot at least 3 weekends at a month plus we just finished up a 10 week indoor league shoot. We have made 1 big ASA tournamnt but will make more this yr. I hope. We have a little 1 that we are introducin into it, she is 15 months old and has been on the range since she was 2 months old and loves it. Well good luck in it if you do decide to do it, and you dont have to be great shot, but it will improve you shootin alot. Again good luck. If you ever get to the Mountain Home area let me know we would be happy to have you shoot with us. We will probly be runnin the Mountain Home range next yr.:cool:
Mountain Home isn't too bad of a drive from here. I may just come up there and do some shooting. Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Man, you have no idea what your in for.Ill tell you what it was like for me shooting my first tourney. I actually hit all the targets! I had no clue what I was doing though.I thought I was ok at shooting but wanted to get some practice for deer season. I got so addicted to this stuff that if there was any 3-d shoots druing the winter, Id never hunt. Sounds crazy huh? Youll see. I was so ate up with it that every other saturday I would have it set up so I could shoot 3 shoots in one day. Lots of driving and almost running though the ranges. I would be soaking wet with sweat when I got done.

I truley believe this is the gratest sport on earth. Ask anybody that knows me and you will see what I mean. If you like hunting with a bow, you will LOVE this. Like huntingdoc said, your confidence will go through the roof. You will learn more than you ever thought you coulg about shooting. I never thought this could get so complicated as it did for me. I have moved up through the classes and I am shooting the pro class at the local shots. Dont worry about your skill leval at first. You can start out shooting the novice class. There are alot of guys that have never shot or only shot a few tourneys. Never be afraid to ask some of the other guys any questions you have. Ive been shoting for 10 years and have NEVER met anybody that was an a-hole. These are some of the best people youll ever meet.

Im glad you guys have desided to try this stuff. If you are ever around Fort Smith, I have 16 targets set out behind my house, just like a range you would shoot at a tournament. Get in touch with me and we will sling a few arrows. Look me up at a few tournaments. Ill give you a few tips and help any way I can. Welcome to the sport and good luck.:up:

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure I could make those shoots. My weekends are pretty open.

On a nother note, a friend of mine is a sales rep and one of his accounts is Fred Bear. He offered to sell me a Fred Bear Showdown at his cost. He said it would be a good beginner's bow, very forgiving, etc.

Anyone know anything about this bow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quitman would be your best bet from you location. It is probably my favorite shoot. I live in Jonesboro and shoot it every chance I get. I also shoot Jonesboro, Salem, Hardy, and Mt. Home. They are all good shoots also. Try them out next summer, just be prepared to get some chiggers. They come with the sport.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The only thing I do not like about Quitman is his tragert. Last time I was there the targets were so bad that I shot all the way through them. I cant stand a range with crappy targets. Other than that the range is great. Jim is a super nice guy. I alwase like shooting the range, just wish the targets were in better shape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
for the central arkansas bowhunters shoots you can go the ABA site. then to the affiliated club links. the new schedule should be out soon. it's held at the AG&FC archery range in Mayflower on hwy 286. not hard to get to and a blast to shoot! it's also where the ABA holds there spring and fall shoots. come on out! we would love to have you. and you can ask any of the range captains any questions you want and they will be glad to help you. good luck! you'll love it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.