Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to go watch for a few years and finally got to make it down there today. It was a darn good time and something I plan on attending annually if I can. Got to see some fine calling and meet some fine people. My favorite to watch was probably the team calling. Anyone else go or call in it?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I live in Stgt so I've been every year. I will not miss it. I love that Macks is sposoring this each year now.
I really enjoy the contests but my favorite part is just hanging out with Salter and Pittman and sharing stories with them and learning a few pointers. Those guys are 1st class.
I also spent a little time with Mr Bill Rhodes and his wife. They are good people. He was there with a table full of his box calls. I think I messed with everyone of them until I found one that was just perfect for me.
I can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got to visit with Preston and Bill for a bit. Also spent some time talking to Billy Yargus and hes a darn nice guy. Jim Pollard's calls are also nice. He was set up next to Mr. Bill. I've met Jim on several occasions prior to yesterday and he's a fine fellow too.

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
These competition guys sound more like a hen turkey than a hen turkey....if that makes sense. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Wish I had known you guys were there. If you recall the guy setting up the caller orders and order of drawing. ..that was me.I was working with Preston and Paul Buskey on keeping things on schedule. Both did a great job as did Larry and Hooks. Great bunch of guys dedicated to the sport. Our 3 ed year of putting this together. Jim dose a great job organizing the event. Chuck the owner is a great guy as well. We plan on keeping this going.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes sir I remember seeing you. You guys do a great thing and I appreciate it. I was sitting directly behind the older gentleman when he went down. Any word on how he is doing?

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Yes sir I remember seeing you. You guys do a great thing and I appreciate it. I was sitting directly behind the older gentleman when he went down. Any word on how he is doing?
Last I was told, he was doing ok. The lady who was working on him was Jim Wells ( organizer with the NWTF) wife Mary. She is a nurse and I credit her for saving his life. What makes me proud being part of this group with the NWTF is that everyone there just went into auto mode doing what's needed. Callers and members moved bleachers without waiting to be told. I noticed several small groups of lady's holding hands and praying for that gentleman, several were calling 911. Folks in this org are just great people you can always rely on to do the right thing when needed. That man was blinded from a hunting accident in the early 80's and still to this day turkey hunts with a friend who sets behind him and tells him where to line up the shot. He's killed birds in recent years at his age. I have wondered several times that if he had been anywhere else, would he still be here today? My hats off to the great bunch of volunteers working with the NWTF. As well as the kind of people I normally meet who are good ethical hunters across this state. They are all family to me.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'd like to add to my post above.....

THANK YOU to the NWTF guys who put this together. You guys did an awesome job (as usual).

I'd also like to give another big THANK YOU to the local chapter for a very nice banquet Saturday night. I didn't win anything but the wife and I still had a great time. It was worth the price of admission just to hear the auctioneer. He was on fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts