Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have tossed some old brass. I decided to pull the bullets out of 18 more rounds and discard the brass and write this one up as a "should have known better."

I was lucky the case on the left did not completely separate. :head:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are .308 and were shot in my Browning Lever Action. They were light loads and I was just trying to get another go round out of the brass before I discarded it. I could not see that much stretch in the brass but no doubt it was there. That's as close as I have ever came to having a case separate. The first shot was the case on the right and I ejected the brass and did not even look at it. The second shot was stiff to eject after the shot was fired. About one third of the brass did not crack or it probably would have separated.

Did you get the brass out (ejected) when you had that experience? I would expect a complete separation might stick some brass in your chamber and be hard to get out.

Anyway I got a good reminder out of the deal......take no chances. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those cases are R-P and I have a lot of satisfaction with them holding up to a lot of use.
Some of the Winchester Brass I have bought new won't last more than three reloads.
If my records are correct these cases were reloaded eight times. I have shot some 30/30 brass almost 20 times before I tossed them out. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I did the same, years ago...tried to push it, and get 5 reloads out of some 30/30 brass, that I fire-formed and was shooting 7/30 and I did have several case seperations...dropped back to 3 reloads and all was fine!!!!

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
It's interesting how different rounds do when reloaded multiple times. The only cases I have had partial separations on have been the 308 and 30/06. I shoot lots of 223, and what I usually see on them is a split neck. I have 45ACP and 38 Special cases that have been reloaded dozens of times and are still going. What
I usually see on straight walled cases is a split case. I haven't loaded the 30/30 and 35 Rem enough to wear any brass out yet.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Most 30/30 brass is thin anyway, and it will stretch, that was the problem with it when I was loading/fire forminf it for 7/30 waters................when just loading it for 30/30, had no problems laoding it 5 times............that's the only brass i've had problems with!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.