Woodie Loads

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by WillyB71, Dec 24, 2012.

1. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

I got permission to hunt some woods ponds next to a creek yesterday...probably 95% Woodies and maybe a few late season Mallards if I am lucky.

It will be a close range affair, or not at all.

Dug around in my stash and found two boxes of of Federal Classic HHV 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz steel 4s I bought for Teal last year.

I will be hunting with an old Superposed Lighting IC/Mod, so I can easily switch over to heavier loads if the larger birds appear.

Is there a better load for this?

2. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

Ha! Nice thread title

3. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

Those 4's should work fine. Modified or IC choke. Good luck, and post some pics after you swat 'em!!!

4. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

4's work good for me on sloughs and ponds.no cripples.:thumbup:
    They work good on bigger ducks too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

5. duckboy32

duckboy32 Well-Known Member

Cabot
    i use 4's 95% of the time for everything, even killed some big canada geese with them

6. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

4s work well. I can tell you that jerk strings work well for woodies. They don't care much about decoys but they do come to the splash.

Good luck

7. JustAnotherHunter

JustAnotherHunter Well-Known Member

#7 dove loads on private land. #6 if in Bayou Meto:cool:

8. WillyB71

Totally unintentional, Dwight.

9. WillyB71

I was worried about using 4s...

That load rolled two Greater Canadas yesterday afternoon at 45 yds when they flew by the ponds to check out my decoy spread.

One shot each.

Took away all my excuses for getting mostly feathers shooting at dive bombing woodies at the same distance.

First Canadas I ever shot at, much less killed, both were over 12 lbs each, & both were banded.

I hear these things are not much good at the table.

Any recommendations?

10. BDW

Willy, cut the breasts off the bone...Smoke them for 3-4 hours with your favorite smoking wood...Put them in crock pot covered in a mix of beer and apple juice....Slice an onion and throw several pieces of bacon in with them. Cook on low for 8 hours....Shred and mix in your favorite bbq sauce. It's good stuff. :up:

11. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Account Suspended

This can't be a serious thread.

12. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

Kind of what I was thinking heavy dove

13. Ryan_289

Ryan_289 Well-Known Member

Remington express long range # 6s. (speaking for a friend)

14. Ryan_289

Ryan_289 Well-Known Member

so you smoke them and crock pot them? never tried that one before. Sounds good.

15. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

BDW - I know you didnt ask but I wanted to share my saw bill ( Merganser ) Recipe- You take 3 saw bill breast and lay them on a cedar plank - baste them with a comibination of red pepper, balsamic vinegar, paprika, and a lot of garlic salt - let them marinate overnight in this mixture on the plank- The following day you should tenderize them then put them in a baking dish, add 1/3 of a PBR, a shot of red wine, and a shot of Wild Turkey - put into oven or on a smoker and cook slowly for 3 hours - when done - drain the mixture into a glass and drink it and throw the ducks away and eat the plank

16. BDW

:thumb: