Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have some basic plans for building a ground blind out of lumber? I have a pop-up type blind already but I don't want to leave it out there and I want something that is more permanent that I can hunt out of with my wife. I have seen many plans online but you have to pay to get them. :smack:

anyway, I'm wanting it 7 feet wide x 5 feet. Then 8 foot tall in the front and 6 feet on the back. I'm going to put a 2' height window opening all the way across the front so I can stand and shoot my bow out of it too. I'm just kind of looking for some plans so I will have an idea on how much lumber to get.

Thanks ya'll! :up:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sounds like you already have your plans. Either use 2x4's or rip them in half and put shooting rails at the desired height. Sides can be plywood, burlap, netting (light shines through but is OK), and put a brace across the top to put on a top. We nail tin. With burlap or netting, you can crawl under for a door. Works well. Just frame it up, then put on sides and top. You can make a high ceiling, and put something down from the top to the deired width of the window. You can even use tarp around the top, leaving enough room for the window. Been using them for years. Nothing like being on ground level with deer walking by.

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to increase the length more than 5ft. If someone goes with you it's going to get crowded. Glue the floor joist before you nail them, it will reduce the noise when you move.

When looking at the front of it, it's actually going to be 7 feet long. The 5' is the depth (from front to back.)

Ok, so I drew up some plans last night. (I was bored haha)

So, what do you think?

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
You guys crack me up with plans for deer stands:fit:

I like the idea that on stands I just go...............

I enjoy building from my head .......maybe cause I deal with drawings and blueprints at work:head:

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As October said it won't cost you any more to make your blind 8' long. The plywood is the expensive part not the 2bys
Good thought. I thought about that after I was messing with the plans, but I didn't want to go back and change it all at that point. haha :up: I probably will before I build it though. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
You guys crack me up with plans for deer stands:fit:

I like the idea that on stands I just go...............

I enjoy building from my head .......maybe cause I deal with drawings and blueprints at work:head:
Same here!!!!!!!

I'll build one ---one way--the next,,a different, and then which ever works out best, I go with that design:biggrin: one thing for sure, all of mine are based on a 4ftX4ft or 4ftX6ft layout.......the smaller ones are just right for 1 person...the bigger for 2...and like now, I am rebuilding one, a 4X4 to 4X6...easy to rework that way!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same here!!!!!!!

I'll build one ---one way--the next,,a different, and then which ever works out best, I go with that design:biggrin: one thing for sure, all of mine are based on a 4ftX4ft or 4ftX6ft layout.......the smaller ones are just right for 1 person...the bigger for 2...and like now, I am rebuilding one, a 4X4 to 4X6...easy to rework that way!!!!!!
my only problem is I've never built one, I don't have a bunch of scrap lumber layin around, and I want to make sure I get all the lumber in one trip since gas is so high. I don't want to be going back and forth a bunch getting stuff. :up: Plus, this one has to be big enough to have 2 hunters with one possibly standing up shooting a bow. We can shoot sitting down, but just feel more comfortable shooting standing up. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.