Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is this right place but here goes. We are about to add on to our hunting cabin. When we get done it will be 26x20. Small area. I have a wood stove in my tent but other than that have no experience with them. Can someone point me in the right direction to start looking? Looking for something that will last but also not break the bank. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
I have that I bought at our local farmers co-op. its a logwood brand I think.it was around $150 if I remember correctly.its nothing fancy but it works well and put s out a lot of heat.

·
Premium Member
18,490 Posts
I bet just about any stove you find will heat your place. The real key will be in venting it properly so it can draft and breath well. I have a buck #74 and it is not a big stove (16" logs) but it will heat 2600sf.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Something folks forget about is the combustion air used by the stove. Warm air from inside the cabin goes up the chimney, and cold outside air comes into the cabin to replace it. Usually not an issue because the stove makes so much heat, but running a vent to the stove so that it uses outside air for combustion will solve that problem. Stove dealers call these arrangements "OAK's" or Outside Air Kits.

Like I said, usually no big deal because the stove makes lots of heat, but in a small, tight cabin an OAK could help the thing burn better and help you stay warmer with less wood. Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My fire place soon to be a stove has a 3" line ran from the crawl space under the house for air intake and it has 2 fans blowing hot air into the house and is tied into the regular duct work..................I need a good door for the front of it and a grate system and can't find either.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
The stove I heat my house with draws air from the crawl space. I've got some 3" dryer vent pipe and I plan to pipe air from outside to where the stove draws to keep from drawing cold air into the crawl space.

But seriously, about any wood stove should be able to run you out of a 26 X 20 cabin. A 55 gal. barrel stove with the bottom lined in fire brick would heat the place for a long time. Barrels are cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts