Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to get all my chores done during the week, mowed the grass, burned off some old boxes, cleaned the house, bathed the dog, pruned some trees, and sprayed for spiders, and cleaned the boat out, etc...

I got to spend all weekend, except for sleeping and sleeping, on the river. My river of choice was the Black here in Ind. County. After making 16.87 miles up river, I found a nice a hole that produced fish all weekend. We caught around 15 cats Saturday, and a whole mess of drum. I don't eat fish so we threw everything back, but it was nice to catch fish after fish.

The problem we ran into was the size of the catfishes. None of them were longer then 10". Smallest was around 5". I haven't been fishing long, but was spawning time for them recently? The water temp was 75F~. I did get to try out some new rod/reels today, Plueger President w/ Ugly Stick, and Abu Garcia Black Maxx. I am not use to baitcasters yet, but it was nice to launch a 1oz. weight 10 miles down river.

Forgot to mention the bait we used/tried. We caught everything on nightcrawlers. Tried livers, Strike King Dynamite Paste, and 2 different brands of Magic Bait. Nothing got bites except nightcrawlers.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I don't eat fish so we threw everything back, but it was nice to catch fish after fish.
Brother, I've got to ask this but don't take it personally....... YOU DON'T EAT FISH??? :confused: Is that some sort of birth defect or what? I could eat fish 7 days a week and never get tired of it. :up:

Anyway, congrats on finding a hole to keep you entertained all weekend. Sounds like they were a little on the small side, but if you're fishing for fun it doesn't matter how big they are. If you had fun it was a great weekend outdoors! :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha yeah, i can eat sardines all day long,but if it comes to cooked fish, i just cant do it. i guess i just had a bad experience with eating them at one time. yea we had a blast, i could catch drum all day long, love the fight.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
haha yeah, i can eat sardines all day long,but if it comes to cooked fish, i just cant do it. i guess i just had a bad experience with eating them at one time. yea we had a blast, i could catch drum all day long, love the fight.
If you're ever in Stuttgart on a Sunday let me know....I'm thinkin' we could cook up some crappie at my folks house that might change your way of thinking about cooked fish. :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Brother, I've got to ask this but don't take it personally....... YOU DON'T EAT FISH??? :confused: Is that some sort of birth defect or what? I could eat fish 7 days a week and never get tired of it. :up:

some of us are allergic to em (didn't use to be, but i guess our bodies change over time) i used to smoke and i haven't craved a cigarrette since a week after i quit i have NEVER quit craving freshwater fish (for 11 years now):frown::down::banghead:

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran into an old timer on the river and he suggested I run a trotline with some goldfish attached. So this weekend, I am going to run a few trotlines; some with goldfish, and some with stink bait, worms, and livers alternated.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts

I just recently got to where I would eat fried fish again. I hadn't eaten any in almost 4 years, when we moved back to AR. I had eaten trout and salmon grilled, but no fried fish. When we came back here, I tried it several times, but just did not like it. I finally had some that was good, and now I fry up my own. The wife and my oldest son on the other hand have never liked fish. My youngest likes to stay the night with Granny and go to Crooked Hook with her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.