Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old rednose male. Hes a real stud, bout 70lbs of nothing but muscle. Loves to kill critters. Hes not 2 bad with other dogs, he does real good unless the other dogs bow up on him. I was just wondering if he would catch a hog. Does anybody have a hog in a pen i can throw him in with to see or let me go with ya and throw him out on the real thing. Im not gonna drive super far but i wood drive hour or so. Hope i dont sound dumb i just dont know much bout hog hunting other than it sounds fun! Anyway LMK. :biggrin::up:

·
Registered
783 Posts
u wud just have to try him u need to watch him close tho because when they get worked up he may grab the first thing he comes too. its one thing to have one the will check a dog bowin up on him but when u throw him in the middle of dogs barkin an all an he gets pumped up u have to make sure he knows what he is there for an that he just dnt start grabbing whatever cuz hes too excited. you may end up spending more time splitting up dogs than chasin pigs. just depends on the dog they all different just watch him an read his actions bfor u let him go. this is one of the fine lines of a catch dog he needs to be passive or highly tolerant of the other dogs an then he needs to hit an hang on

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He minds really good if he was to tie up with another dog i can call him off. My buddies lab just ran across the yard and jumped on him and the fight was on and i called him off and the lab was still eatn on him and him staring at me like ***. But yeah i wood watch him for sure.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I haven't sen a pit that wouldn't catch some do better than others but all I fool with have caught good. You do need to give him a few easy catches before you turn him on a 300lb boar just so he can know what's up. Buy a staple gut sooner or latter you will need it don't get to attached catch dogs are candles in the wind.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have seen a few that wudnt catch at all! An some that do catch but tend to let go u really have to b careful cuz w my luck they turn loose rt when u get rdy to put ur hands on the hog and that can really get someone hurt! U have to be careful but when u get a good one there ain't nutin better!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts