Woman turns in historic Nazi assault rifle at Conn. gun buy-back

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by arky501, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Luckily they told the idiot what she had and she is going to sell it. Personally, I will die with my grandfathers guns and I hope my kids do the same. I need a buyback program. $50 to $100 dollar gift certificates for guns. Jeez. IDIOTS That just got under my skin this morning that people are giving guns away. The liberals are winning.

2. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I'm glad she got it back and the cops were honest. I have an uncle who has[had?] one of those...I really enjoyed watching him and others try to shoot it when I was a kid. War souvenirs were often disabled before bringing them back...though some escaped the practice. But it was still funny watching them try to re-enable the gun. I wonder if he still has it[he kept it in the closet]?

3. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

Cool story but I think the real Nazis are the Hartford police and the reporter. How many times did the reporter call it an assault rifle? Can someone please define assault rifle? Also why does she have to keep it at the police station? The gun is inoperable and somehow thru a miracle never came out of the closet and killed someone!

4. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

Why? No one is making folks swap guns for Walmart gift certificates. Anyone that would either had no use for it or it was some trot line weight of a gun that wasn't worth $25. Sounds like these guys did her a huge favor.

The Feds can define it, it's in the BATF regs.

She CHOSE to store it at the police station. Again, they are doing her a favor.

These "nazis" could have destroyed a valuable piece of history, screwed a women out of a payday, or sent her home to worry about being robbed of her newly found fortune. They did none of the above. Didn't seem very nazi like to me, sounded like good folks.

5. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I saw that on the news a few days ago. Glad they were at least honest about it.

I sure wish we would have a buy back program here. I have a few old pot metal junkers I'd love to get $50 each for.

6. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Do they fire at all?

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Send me $200 and I'll send all 4 to you. :whistle:

To answer your question, no they are 100% total junk. I've been holding on to them for years thinking I'd stumble across a buy back and get some free Obama ca$h. I wouldn't even use these as trotline weights. You know enough about me that if they were working guns there's no way I'd get rid of them. :biggrin:

8. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

Assault rifle
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For the term as used in the 1994 US Assault Weapons Ban, see assault weapon.
    Not to be confused with assault gun.

This article may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. (September 2009)

An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. It is not to be confused with assault weapons.[1] Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

There ya go, straight from Wikipedia! Evidently an assault weapon (semi), assault rifle (auto/select fire), and assault gun (artillery) are totally different critters.

9. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

That's not the way I read it. I guess I missed where she chose to store it at the police department. She wouldn't have to worry about bring robbed if that gun could shoot. Well let me rephrase that if she could shoot that gun.;)

Thanks Wes that clears it up for me.

10. Adog

Adog Well-Known Member

I love how the so called "gun expert" says "the AK-47 was copied from the SG-44 after the war", and "the SG-44 is the prtotype for all modern assault weapons".:smack:
    I'm amazed they even knew what it was....gun experts my :censored:.