Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
Do they keep track of ammo you buy in AR? I have seen several posts that lead me to believe that. Kansas used to, so we just switched to buying in Missouri. In Missouri, where we buy all our ammo, it is just cash and carry, just like buying a coke.

Also, the Armory website says the ammo is out of stock. :down:

Does anyone shoot Monarch ammo from Academy. $5.97 for 20 rounds.

· Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they keep track of ammo you buy in AR? I have seen several posts that lead me to believe that. Kansas used to, so we just switched to buying in Missouri. In Missouri, where we buy all our ammo, it is just cash and carry, just like buying a coke.

Also, the Armory website says the ammo is out of stock. :down:

Does anyone shoot Monarch ammo from Academy. $5.97 for 20 rounds.
I have no idea about the tracking thingy, but I'll take my chances instead of paying $400/1000 locally when they get more in stock.

According to The Armory website the ETA on the ammo I bought is 6/15. I've got plenty for now so if I have to wait even a month or so I won't be too disappointed....as long as all hell doesn't break loose before then. :up:

.270Win

· Registered
925 Posts
What about that Wolf ammo? I have heard bad stories about it like gummed up chambers and broken extractors. Does anybody have anything to say about it either good or bad?

I can't decide whether I should buy some of these or not.

· Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about that Wolf ammo? I have heard bad stories about it like gummed up chambers and broken extractors. Does anybody have anything to say about it either good or bad?

I've shot probably 600 or so rounds out of my Bushy AR-15 in the past few months and have never had a misfire or jam, so I certainly can't complain about them. I have been shooting the Wolf 55 grain hollow points in the black box. I haven't tried the Military Classic version, but from what I've read I can't tell the difference between the two.

I asked Mr. C about Wolf ammo in another thread and he didn't have anything bad to say about them, so that's good enough for me.

See: http://www.arkansashunting.net/showthread.php?t=29161&page=4

Anyway, I've got 1000 rounds of Military Classic on order and I'll post up the results as soon as possible. :up:

.270Win

· Administrator
90,822 Posts

Check out the link that 270 posted above. The best thing to do is to try some in your gun. If it feeds good, go for it.

· Registered
4,120 Posts
I've got 2k coming in. The older lacquer cased ammo I only shot minimal amounts of in my AR's but shot the snot out of it in my Mini's!

The newer polymer coated seems to run real well and leaves no residue from the cases. I've read the horror stories about extractors and worn chambers etc. etc. but I've never actually seen any of these.

· Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:woohoo:

I placed my order with www.the-armory.com on Sunday and my 1000 rounds arrived today! The military classic looks exactly like the "black box" Wolf ammo, same overall length and everything else. I have no doubt it's going to work fine in my evil black Bushy. :thumb:

:woohoo:

.270Win

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
I've got 2k coming in. The older lacquer cased ammo I only shot minimal amounts of in my AR's but shot the snot out of it in my Mini's!
Sounds like you will be ready!! :thumb:

The newer polymer coated seems to run real well and leaves no residue from the cases. I've read the horror stories about extractors and worn chambers etc. etc. but I've never actually seen any of these.
I have read those errornet stories too. My take is that the mild steel in the cases isn't nearly as hard as the chrome plated 4150 steel used in AR barrels. The steel in the Wolf cases is mild enough that some people reload them, so they can't be too tough.

Even if it did wear the extractor down, that's a $15 part at the most. When you save $200 per 1000 rounds, it would take 10K+ to even start to show wear on the extractor. You have saved $2K and need to replace a $15 part. Sounds like a good trade off to me. Most people will never shoot this volume of ammo from their rifles.

· Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How did your ammo work 270?
I haven't had a chance to shoot any of it yet. :frown: The other night I "jacked" an entire 30 round clip through it and didn't have any problems at all. Hopefully this week I'll get a chance to run down to the rifle range and try it out.

I've got to get some sort of scope or red dot on my AR so I can see how accurate it shoots. My 44 year old eyes don't particularly like the peep sight. :doh:

.270Win

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.