Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I'm new to this forum and also new to the great state of Arkansas. I just moved here from out of state (AZ) after retiring from LE and have never hunted here before. All of my hunting experience is limited to Arizona and Colorado, where most of the state is national forest or some sort of public land. I live on 4.5 acres just outside of Elkins, which is not enough land to enjoy a good hunt. I have been researching some of the WMA's somewhat close by (Hobbs, Wedington, and White Rock) for archery deer, but could not find enough info to point me in the right direction of where I should start. I've been told Wedington can be good but there are more hunters than deer. LOL. If anyone has any tips, pointer or general areas to start, i would appreciate the help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,373 Posts
Hello All! I'm new to this forum and also new to the great state of Arkansas. I just moved here from out of state (AZ) after retiring from LE and have never hunted here before. All of my hunting experience is limited to Arizona and Colorado, where most of the state is national forest or some sort of public land. I live on 4.5 acres just outside of Elkins, which is not enough land to enjoy a good hunt. I have been researching some of the WMA's somewhat close by (Hobbs, Wedington, and White Rock) for archery deer, but could not find enough info to point me in the right direction of where I should start. I've been told Wedington can be good but there are more hunters than deer. LOL. If anyone has any tips, pointer or general areas to start, i would appreciate the help. Thanks
Find a good spot on the 4.5 acres to start feeding corn...put up a camera.....and be amazed at what ya can grow in your yard.....

Your welcome

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Remington, I have a few deer I've been feeding and watching over the last year. Don't laugh,,, but my wife likes to watch the deer on our property, has given them names even and has forbidden me from killing them. Besides that the only decent buck is a 2-year-old 3x3 (or 8 point if you count the eye guards) and needs another year or two to be shootable for me anyway.

·
Registered
Primary: thermal equipped, suppressed, .300 AAC; Secondary: Glock 29SF 10mm
84 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the state. I live and hunt in NWA as well and specifically focus on public land. If you live in Elkins don't bother with Hobbs as it will be a lengthy timeline for you to leave the house, drive to your spot, and walk in. Wedington is definitely crowded but it's a lot of college kids that don't believe in walking and ATVs are not allowed. White Rock has some absolute studs but is also hunted heavily and allows the use of firearms during the designated seasons. If you choose Wedington, head to the north end outside of Tontitown. White Rock has plenty of locations to start on. White Rock will have more bear and hog activity whereas Wedington has less probability of seeing either, but definitely not unheard of. Best of luck to you and if you want any additional info feel free to PM me!

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Thanks Remington, I have a few deer I've been feeding and watching over the last year. Don't laugh,,, but my wife likes to watch the deer on our property, has given them names even and has forbidden me from killing them. Besides that the only decent buck is a 2-year-old 3x3 (or 8 point if you count the eye guards) and needs another year or two to be shootable for me anyway.

You're in the south now so yes, you count the brow tines. As a matter of fact, you count anything you can hang a ring on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it. My neighbor and I were talking the other day and I brought up the small "3x3" to him and he said he was only seeing an 8 pointer over the past week with some does. An hour into the conversation we finally realized we were talking about the same deer. haha LMAO! You'll have to forgive my west-coast shenanigans.

·
Premium Member
18,202 Posts
I've hunted every piece of public land in NWA. Some are better than others but they all have people. Lots of people. Sometimes you can walk away from them, sometimes you walk a mile and a half and find two stands.

I've not been incredibly successful but I've killed a few deer and I'm a terrible deer hunter so it can be done.

My recommendation is to pick one piece of land, then pick a couple specific places on that land and get to know them intimately. Figure out what the deer do there and get after it.

Don't let people bug you too bad as the deer adjust to them as well. The deer aren't leaving the country every time a person comes through. Learn to hunt the people and their travel routes as much as you learn the deer and you can see success.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Got it. My neighbor and I were talking the other day and I brought up the small "3x3" to him and he said he was only seeing an 8 pointer over the past week with some does. An hour into the conversation we finally realized we were talking about the same deer. haha LMAO! You'll have to forgive my west-coast shenanigans.
Hahahaha😐

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Hobbs is crowded but has deer, weddington is crowded but has deer. White rock is massive and naturally has low deer density, but it has deer. If i were you I’d focus on white rock seeing how it closer and lots of land to get around in. It can get pretty crowded come rifle season. Bow and muzzleloader will have less traffic.

You’re in Arkansas so we count points here, only “by” you will hear is 4x4, as in drivetrains, not tines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts