Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I’m the wrong person to argue with about shutting down the season because I’m all for that. One more try then I’m done, say every person living in the state decided they wanted to hunt turkeys this spring, what kind of outcome do you expect that to bring? I don’t care how much money the state gets from it, we’re never getting much more public land. Development is increasing much faster than hunter numbers are decreasing and a new subdivision will generate much more money than licenses ever will.

I’m absolutely not attacking you and hope it doesn’t seem that way, I just feel like not everyone realizes there’s two sides to this coin.
Did not think that you were attacking me in the slightest, and I appreciate your view point an opinion. But as hunters we have to be able to help spread the sport and do all we can to help all game animals. This post was originally just trying to get everyone excited about season and hear where others plan to chase a bird.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hunting has a multi billion dollar ad campaign. It doesn’t need any help. You can’t expect to increase hunters while decreasing habitat. More hunters isn’t the answer to more habitat. It’s the answer to fewer animals. New hunters don’t start out as conservationist. Heck, look at all the dink’s you guys kill, and most of y’all have hunted your whole lives. There is zero guarantee that becoming a hunter will lead you to being a conservationist. The AGFC having more money means nothing. For one because they spend it on toys and trying to catch people staying an extra 15mins shooting a duck. And the biggest reason is they only own a tiny percentage of the land. They should just close public turkey hunting season, and only sell private tags to guys who submit 50 predator tails. I don’t care if you scrape Em up off the road. If you want a turkey tag, you gotta have the tails. That creates an intrinsic value and establishes an artificial value. Just like making drugs illegal. How long you think it will be before a cottage industry providing “Tails for Tags” pops up in every little town. More turkey hunters solving the problem is some Democrat thinking.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
You better get a dozen of those new Avian-X Turkey floater decoys. Rig you up 3 on a jerk string and they will land right on the X.
I haven't used decoys much, that may be what my issue has been. I'll see if I can come up with some before season. Everybody I've talked to says theres water in there now but it will be gone before spring.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hunting has a multi billion dollar ad campaign. It doesn’t need any help. You can’t expect to increase hunters while decreasing habitat. More hunters isn’t the answer to more habitat. It’s the answer to fewer animals. New hunters don’t start out as conservationist. Heck, look at all the dink’s you guys kill, and most of y’all have hunted your whole lives. There is zero guarantee that becoming a hunter will lead you to being a conservationist. The AGFC having more money means nothing. For one because they spend it on toys and trying to catch people staying an extra 15mins shooting a duck. And the biggest reason is they only own a tiny percentage of the land. They should just close public turkey hunting season, and only sell private tags to guys who submit 50 predator tails. I don’t care if you scrape Em up off the road. If you want a turkey tag, you gotta have the tails. That creates an intrinsic value and establishes an artificial value. Just like making drugs illegal. How long you think it will be before a cottage industry providing “Tails for Tags” pops up in every little town. More turkey hunters solving the problem is some Democrat thinking.
Part of what you say is accurate, but more hunters leads to the opportunity to more conservationists who will voice their opinions on gaining access, land and changes that we want to see. Being silent and inactive is not how positive change occurs. Again, this post was just a way to get some people excited about season coming up and to hear where our fellow hunters are wanting to pursue their passion and hopefully tag a bird.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Equality of opportunity doesn’t equate to equality of outcome. Gaining access to what land? Again, public is basically none of it. Not one person is advocating for being silent and inactive about conservation. They’re advocating for discretion in internet postings. Somehow you have conflated those two things. There are WAY more hunters applying than permits available. MORE people applying is exactly the opposite of what we need. Less hunters is what turkeys and all other ground nesting birds need right now. More habitat is also what they need more than anything. And it isn’t going to come from public land. I admire your desire to forward conservation. Go find a large private landowner and convince them to kill all their fescue and don’t cut hay until June. Find someone who will let you edge feather all their timber. Go cut the 30yr old trees in the fence row back down to brush and early successional habitat. Jumping on the internet to remind the competition it’s time to apply for limited tags isn’t the answer. Good luck, I hope you draw, and kill a 30lb bird. But for goodness sake, if you do, DONT GET ON HERE AND TALK ABOUT IT!!
Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Equality of opportunity doesn’t equate to equality of outcome. Gaining access to what land? Again, public is basically none of it. Not one person is advocating for being silent and inactive about conservation. They’re advocating for discretion in internet postings. Somehow you have conflated those two things. There are WAY more hunters applying than permits available. MORE people applying is exactly the opposite of what we need. Less hunters is what turkeys and all other ground nesting birds need right now. More habitat is also what they need more than anything. And it isn’t going to come from public land. I admire your desire to forward conservation. Go find a large private landowner and convince them to kill all their fescue and don’t cut hay until June. Find someone who will let you edge feather all their timber. Go cut the 30yr old trees in the fence row back down to brush and early successional habitat. Jumping on the internet to remind the competition it’s time to apply for limited tags isn’t the answer. Good luck, I hope you draw, and kill a 30lb bird. But for goodness sake, if you do, DONT GET ON HERE AND TALK ABOUT IT!!
Happy Hunting.
I agree, less hunters is what turkeys need! We need to close season for at least 5 years or so!(y)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
If you want to we can get together and get after them. I’m still a greenhorn and trying to learn.
Heck yeah. Maybe we can dumb into one. I almost got it done last year. I owled at one with my little plastic hooter. He answered me but never would come any closer, no matter how many times I hooted at him afterwards. I sat there for 10 whole minutes and he shut up so I went to eat breakfast. If Bayou Meto is what you say it is, I'm sure we can make it happen.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts