Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let you know, that last Friday I sa the WMA Permit Hunt applications at the gas statione. They are not on the website yet, but if any of you mail them in, they are now out.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
No freaking thanks:down: I know every WMA isn't like what happened last year, 1 hunter per 28 acre average, I saw eight people tramping around before 9:00 a.m. Ridiculous! It was the first and last time for me on this particular WMA.

I do hope everyone else's goes good though:thumb:

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
How far off the road wee ya?? Most people probably don't get more than a few hundred yards from the road. When I hunted WMA's back in the late 80's, all you had to do was to cross a creek or a valley and up the next hill. We weren't bothered all day.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I'll wait till they come out on-line. Much less hassle.

We have an "Optional teacher in-service" that is the first Monday and Tuesday of modern gun season. I'll be on public land on those days, but not on the weekends.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
How far off the road wee ya?? Most people probably don't get more than a few hundred yards from the road. When I hunted WMA's back in the late 80's, all you had to do was to cross a creek or a valley and up the next hill. We weren't bothered all day.
1/2 mile, about the farthest you can get from any road is almost 1 mile, unfortunately handicap fourwheeler trails lead right to the middle, and when I drove by the handicap access around 2 hours before daylight, there were already 14 trucks parked there. I'm sorry, but when you have 1 hunter per 28 acre average, there is hardly anywhere to go to get away from everyone. There is just too many permits put out for to little land to have a quality hunt.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What WMA were you on? I honestly don't want to deal with that type of stuff put plan on trying to get on a WMA this year since I am scheduling my college classes to have a couple days in the week to hunt.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I hunted a WMA during the rifle draw and never saw another hunter the whole time in the woods. I went in a good ways the first day but didnt go in very far the next. I saw deer too. I expected to see hunters everywhere after reading a lot of posts on here but I didnt. It was great I will be applying again this year.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
What WMA were you on?
Shirey Bay/Rainey Brake.

I dont mean to sound negative too much, but it was a very bad experience for me, they drew 300 permits. I know other guys that hunted there too, and they also had a similar experience.

I know I was repositioning trying to get away from everyone around 10:00AM and I met this guy that was walking towards me with his muzzleoader on his shoulder, I guess he had his finger on the trigger because that thing went off pointed straight up off his shoulder and he didn't even slow down or anything. He acted like he didn't even know it went off. He was a nut! And the mosquitos were horrible. I would like to see half the permits or less drawn. Sure it would be harder to draw them but it would be a quality hunt when you did get drawn and maybe every nut on the corner would not be out there endangering my life.

Good luck to you guys:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.