WMA on 4 sides

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by woodsnwater, Dec 19, 2010.

1. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

I got a question... If you have land or can hunt land that has a WMA on 4 sides can you still hunt it without a permit or still applies as a WMA and still need permit? I know how it applies for deer did not know any different.

2. biggobs

biggobs Well-Known Member

I believe you don't have to have a permit but your hunting must coincide with the hunting season structure on the surronding WMA. Im sure there are some on here who own land like this same scenerio & could give better insight than me.

3. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

Private ground, so don't think you have to abide to WMA permits surrounding it. Should just have to follow regulations for the turkey zone you are hunting in. That's how I have always interpreted it anyway. If I had the opportunity I would apply for a permit if it's a draw, then you have the opportunity to roam. Might be a perfect scenario.

4. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

There was 40 acres in the middle of cut off creek wma a family named greenway owned it and they had to go by the normal zone regs. That was all that aplied to their property. They were allowed to drive across the wma shortest possible route to their land. The only time they had to have a permit was if they hunted on game and fish property during permit hunts same as u and I.

5. toon

toon Well-Known Member

Found this in the Nov 4 Newsletter from the AGFC:

"If you hunt on private land within the boundary of a WMA, that land is part of the WMA, no matter that it is private. If that land is surrounded by public land that makes up a WMA, you must go by the WMA regulations, even if the land touches other private property or if your land is surrounded by other private land. If both parcels are surrounded by public land, both parcels are in the WMA."

6. biggobs

biggobs Well-Known Member

This is what I was saying in my earlier post. It doesn't seem fair because it is private land but it is treated like the WMA. Therefore you don't have to have a permit to hunt your land but you have to go by the same season structure as the surronding WMA. I have a friend whos family has owned 160 acres surronded by Ed Gordan WMA for many years & they have to go by the above rules.

7. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

So, if you own 400 acres surrounded by an archery only WMA, you can only hunt your property with a bow? No guns allowed? That seems kind of unfair. It's private land and you should be able to hunt how you choose on your own land in my opinion.

8. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

It's nice for the AG&F to post a letter like that...even though it's false and illegal.

They just can't do it. Might think they can but....REALLY! It's like Zone 4-A....there is property that is surrounded by Zone 4-A....they tried to manage it like it was WMA...didn't work.

9. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

I don't think the game and fish have the authority to say you couldn't hunt YOUR property with a gun even if it was surrounded by an archery only wma. After all, it's YOUR land

10. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

I'm of the same opinion. Sort of falls in the "Grandfathered" stipulation. Like the persons who were of age to buy a hunting license when Arkansas instituted a hunters education program. Couldn't very well make everyone who hunted go back and take the course. It's why they have a cut-off date.

G&F have been given 'carte blanche' on so many things they think they have a constitutional monarchy.

11. woodsnwater

Well, I guess the only time I can hunt these private land is when the 3 weekends permit hunts are in secession. I applied for 1st and 2nd ( as 2nd weekend as my 1 choice ) for Wattensaw. There are 2 different landowners that joins together and seen a lot of turkeys there in the past. Matter in fact all my turkey in that general area... Heck, I may not see a thing. I can get permission to ride 4 wheeler to a certain point. Road is private.

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

If your land is totally surrounded by the WMA then you must follow the WMA regs. You dont have to get a permit, but must follow the season structure that the WMA follows on their permit hunt.

13. Guitarzan

Ha Ha. Test that theory and let us know how it works out for you. :biggrin:

14. woodsnwater

Then again it could be an advantage... If I don't get drawn and get permission ( i know the people well ) to hunt their land I can still hunt.:idea:... Just limited on where I go. That still gives me few hundreds of acres to hunt.

15. Guitarzan

Very true my friend. :up: