Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walking in, we jumped 2 coyotes out of the brush pile that we were planning on sitting by. The guy asked me if I thought the hunt would be a bust at that point and I'm glad I said no. Sat next to another brush pile in the pasture and after about 20 mins of calling, a coyote pops out of a pine patch up the hill behind us... Downwind. I know the guy I was with didn't see it because he's on one the wrong side of the brush pile. So I watch this dog for a few seconds trying to decide what I wanted to do. Should I shoot her now at 150 yds or can I even get turned around to get on her? Well, turning around wasn't going to happen so I kicked on a lil pup distress and she came running as hard as she could to the call and as she comes by us, she almost steps on my buddies feet. Never saw him sitting there. By now, I had stood up on the other side with my shotgun and as soon as she popped out, I hammer her. It just made her mad so he shot her with the mini 14 and she's still going. She gets to about 70 yds and I grabbed my rifle and put one between her eyes to finally end it all. I believe that was the toughest yote I have ever seen. I guess that's where it pays to have a downwinder. It worked out and make for an exciting hunt though. I wish we would have had the camera with us.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
I started working around the place this morning; started raining so I quit and came in to respond to some e-mails in my home office. It's all windows and a glass top door on three sides. My wife had dumped some table scraps about 15 yards from the office, directly behind the windows nearest the computer. I heard the neighborhood's flock of 37 guinea fowls go into the alert mode, and I looked out. The guineas had surrounded a thin, mangy coyote that was eating the scraps. The thing was pitiful looking, hardly any hair over his body and looked like none on his tail. The guineas completely surrounded him and were within 4 or 5 feet of it, taking turns running up to the thing making their loudest sounds. He was just finishing the scraps and he trotted off. Had a small digital on the desk and took some shots of him trotting of with the flock right behind him. (Couldn't shoot the thing because he was heading toward a big housing addition.)

It's funny that the guineas will charge coyotes, fox or bobcat, but pay no attention to dogs or house cats unless they chase them. This thing looked like that dozen or so "Chupacorbra" that have been killed.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised he made it this long through the winter. Gotta love the mange... I think guinea's are the most killed bird ever. Maybe it's because they get too brave at times. Lol!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank ya. The guy I was with had never seen a coyote called in so I was glad it happened like it did. The look on his face was priceless when he stood up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts