Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You get to your hole and the weather report says 3-5 MPH North wind. You check and the wind is blowing South. Let's say the wind is scheduled to shift directions sometime that morning according to a more detailed report. What do you do?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
You get to your hole and the weather report says 3-5 MPH North wind. You check and the wind is blowing South. Let's say the wind is scheduled to shift directions sometime that morning according to a more detailed report. What do you do?
timber hole....of decent size....wind has to be blowing 10+ before we truly adjust.....we normall try to keep wind at our backs....but in tall timber once they get below the trees they are out the wind and will go wherever the please

·
Registered
73 Posts
It will drive you nuts, but I usually go with the forecast. It's very important in determining where we set up on some of my land. Wind is something that "should" be easier for them to get right. Look at the hourly report with the flags, you will be able to tell by that how abrupt it should be. Obviously, the more abrupt, the more likely it is that they will get it right

image.jpg image.jpg

Don't know why it doubled, but see the change this afternoon should be a lot more reliable than tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
timber hole....of decent size....wind has to be blowing 10+ before we truly adjust.....we normall try to keep wind at our backs....but in tall timber once they get below the trees they are out the wind and will go wherever the please
He's got it right, If it is a strong wind i'll set up for whatever direction it is and if it shifts then i will also

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen ducks set up into a 3 MPH wind. We made the mistake of thinking it wouldn't matter with wind that light one time. We thought they will hit the big opening in the trees and turn when they got below them. We were wrong they set up like the wind was blowing 15 MPH.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Seemed like this season was a flip of the coin, set up for what it was doing when you get there or what was forecasted. We did both, got it right about half the time.

·
Registered
25,678 Posts
Seemed like this season was a flip of the coin, set up for what it was doing when you get there or what was forecasted. We did both, got it right about half the time.
Yep, and there were a couple days that the wind was out of the complete opposite direction of what it was supposed to be. We picked a hole that is really only good on a North wind, which is what we were supposed to have, and it blew out of the south at 10-15 all morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts