Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
18,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the Winchester white box out of my 22-250. Ive killed a lot of coyotes with it. Didnt think I could load any cheaper or better for coyotes. Well today I put it to the test. The box says 4000 fps. I knew I was likely not getting it out of my Model 7 with a 20" barrel, but couldnt get it from a 26" barrel either. I was more than disappointed in these results. I also started reloading for a 243. The book said the max load would push a 60 grain bullet 3800 fps. Well, take a look for yourself. I had to go a full grain above the book to get 3600. I know barrel length comes into play but this is ridiculous. The 243 has a 24" barrel. Even losing the average 50 fps per inch of barrel this dont make sense. Im not trusting anything but my chrony from now on.

· Registered
78 Posts
Btech, first of all those are some good looking sticks. Really like that long barrel 22-250! You just need another Vortex to go on it ;0) Try some Varget in that 243. I'm getting 3420 with a 70 grain ballistic tip out of a 22" barrel.

· Registered
18,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btech, first of all those are some good looking sticks. Really like that long barrel 22-250! You just need another Vortex to go on it ;0) Try some Varget in that 243. I'm getting 3420 with a 70 grain ballistic tip out of a 22" barrel.
I will try some Varget. Now that I seen how slow these were Im going to load for the 250 as well. Varget is hard to beat in a 250 for sure.

Thats the first Vortex scope Ive ever tried. Got it on a trade. Its a pretty nice scope. I didnt have any problems with it but I took it off and slapped on a Zeiss instead. The 30 mm tube is too heavy for yote hunting.

· Registered
18,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could the cold weather have anything to do with it???? Just throwing it out there.
It was close to 60 deg. It could have some I guess. Having the chrony in the sun may have helped too. I dont think anything would have increased it by 300 out of the 26 incher. Im thinking more along the lines of deceptive advertising. They may have got it out of a 40" barrel, shooting down hill with the wind at their back. If that 26" custom cant get the 4000 then no normal gun can.

· Registered
78 Posts
You're right about Varget in the 250! That's all I shoot. 37.5 grains behind a 50 gr Ballistic Tip gives 3920fps out of my Savage Predator's 22" barrel. I've got 2 Vortex scopes. A Viper and a Viper HS. I really like both of em. They are a little heavy but they are both on 11 lb rifles so I don't notice it :)

· Administrator
91,826 Posts
You are going to have to try something besides H4895 to get top velocities from your 243. I shoot a lot of H4895 but it's pressure curve is more friendly to the gas operated guns. A slower powder like IMR4350 or Varget will give you better velocities. I shoot 58 grain VMax's and get great velocity with Winchester 760.

I dont' think it's so much deceptive advertising as maybe the test vehicle they are using compared to what you are using. The Factory may very possibly be using a tight chambered or longer barreled gun. Different gun chambers will seal differently than others. With internal and external ballistics there could be a hundred or more variables.

I have chrono'd a lot of ammo over the last 20 to 30 years and the only factory loaded ammo I have ever fired that actually met or exceeded the factory spec was Hornady 17 grain 17HMR rimfire ammo. The box states 2550 FPS and my 2 Marlin 17's get a little over 2600.

· Registered
18,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im going to try some Varget. They know good and well any off the shelf gun wont shoot 4000.

Here's what I looked at to make my load selection. The 4895 was the fastest.

· Registered
10,378 Posts
Hey B, I'm pretty sure that ammunition producers measure muzzle velocity at an industry standard of 15 inches. Now, with that being said, I'm sure they are using a different type of chronographs than you... this might be some of the difference.

· Registered
2,545 Posts
I've seen guys darn near blow up their rifles trying to get bullets to move as fast as some load manuals advertise. Also I've rarely seen factory stuff do whats claimed for it. From this I decided that those old slower than I wanted speeds had always worked for me so why worry?

· Registered
10,378 Posts
I've seen guys darn near blow up their rifles trying to get bullets to move as fast as some load manuals advertise. Also I've rarely seen factory stuff do whats claimed for it. From this I decided that those old slower than I wanted speeds had always worked for me so why worry?
I'll take that a step farther, as I get older, the new factory hi tech ammunition and the availability of custom guns has exceed my ability to improve my shooting with reloads.

· Registered
18,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey B, I'm pretty sure that ammunition producers measure muzzle velocity at an industry standard of 15 inches. Now, with that being said, I'm sure they are using a different type of chronographs than you... this might be some of the difference.
That may account for some of it. I had mine 9 feet from the barrel. I bet their results cant be duplicated, even by them. Its kinda like when folks tell you their gun will shoot 1/4" groups. Ya, maybe it did one time at 50 yards with two shots.

Speed kills. When shooting unknown distance it is important. Its like the folks in mini vans. The speed limit is 55 but they go 35. Dont make sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.