Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by dash4cash, Dec 12, 2010.

1. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

Recently purchased a Savage rifle in the 223 caliber, was wondering if any of you use the Winchester Ballistic silvertip ammo? Any feedback on this ammo would be great. I plan on using them to yote hunt, 55 gr.

Carl

2. That's all I use in my 300 WSM. They are devastating and there is no tracking required. DRT.

3. possum

possum Well-Known Member

I used it for years in my ought sixes with excellent results like WM70 said....DRT. When I started loading my own I was able to get better accuracy with the Hornady SST's and have had the same results....DRT.

4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

I switched to them a few years ago. Most accurate I have found for my .270 and they do a lot of dammage. Hit em' in the neck and they are dead before they hit the ground!:up:

5. Hudge

Hudge Well-Known Member

I have used them in my .280, as they are the best shooting ammo, I have ever tried so far in it. I made a switch this year to Hornady 139 gr. SST's and they are not near as accurate as the Winchester Silver BT's. Will be switching back after I use the boxes of SST's up.

6. btech29

btech29 Well-Known Member

Very good ammo. One of the main things I like about it is the availability of it. Even Wally World carries it. I did alot of research on finding the best round for smacking yotes in 22-250. They were as good or better than just about every other round. Thats what I shoot. :up:

7. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

thats the only thing I will use out of my 223's to hunt with , whether its deer or yotes, I have killed lots of both with them . .55gr. is great .Ive had several DRT's on deer . I shot a doe at 312 yards about 4 years ago and dropped her in her tracks . .if they group well out of your rifle use em! if not , Vmax hornady have similar effects . .they are a rapid expansion bullet . .literally blow up when they hit . the deer I have shot, I shot behind the shoulders, except 1 and all but that 1 were completely through .and leaves a nasty hole . .

8. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    I shot a buck w/ I think 150gr out of a 300 WSM with them and can still hear the sound it made hitting him. I like em

9. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

I shot a stray cat with my 223 ssm,with ball tips.Pretty much cut em in half!

10. they were too wicked for me in my .308. made my skinning job take longer trying to cut away the mess.

11. stalvey768

stalvey768 Well-Known Member

Used to be all I shot recently switched up since I don't hunt that often with my rifles. But if I start back hunting with the rifles more I will switch back. Furthest I tracked a deer was 10 yards!

12. Tony Harris

Tony Harris Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi Staff Member

Shot a 175# pig Saturday morning with my 270 and it made it about 20 yards. Quartering away at 125 yards, you could stick a skinning knife through the off shoulder and not touch meat on any side. Makes a big hole in porky.

13. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

thats all i have ever shot in my 270wsm.

should be great for some dogs

14. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

I shot two bucks this year. The first one was with some cheap federal cartridges. The buck was 90yds and he went another 50 to 75 after Ishott him. There was very little blood and I had trouble finding him. The processor found the bullet half expanded lodged in the off shoulder. Imo a 180gr .300 win mag at less than 100yds should blow through any tissue or bone.

The second buck I shot was with win silver ballistic tips. The buck was at 150yds and it blew a hole through him the size of a baseball..DRT. These are all I use from now on. I get great accuracy and great results with them.

15. Hudge

Hudge Well-Known Member

I used them in my 270WSM until this year. I could not find any factory fodder with Win Silver BT's for it this season.

16. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

You lost me Hudge?????

i think this will be the last yr shooting them. hopefully i'll be full up and running reloading by the time next season rolls around

17. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

I've used them in my .280 for years. I love them. I just bought some in .223 this year to use on yotes.

18. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

I shoot the 150 grains BST out of my marlin 30-30. Only complaint.....they make a mess!

19. fpotts

fpotts Member

.270 or .30-06 Bad to the bone!! Nasty mess to clean up though!!

20. Hudge

Hudge Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any Winchester BT's any where. I do not hand load, so I couldn't roll my own. I went to BPS, Ft. Thompson, Wal-Mart, Academy, etc. but could not find any Winchester Silver BT's in .280 Rem, or 270 WSM this year.