Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the water in this area will they still have a shot at the early Turkey hunt or will it be closed for high water?

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be interesting..................
If you can find some high ground in 17 there will be plenty of turkeys to shoot.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Sure, it will be totally shut down!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!

It & all of the other flood area's will be open unless the G&F takes a whole new outlook on the issue. We have for years tried to get flood zone restrictions to apply to turkey hunting the same as they do for deer hunting, only to have the issue fall upon deaf ears. In past years when high water has been an issue when season opened, the turkey population has been allmost wiped out in the area's. It seems just about the time when things start to seem to be going in the right direction with you having 2 years in a row without a flood & a good hatch here come the water. You only have very little high ground left un-flooded & there is a boat parked every hundred yards all the way up & down on it deer hunting the birds. The G&F has used the excuse that flood waters do not affect the turkeys like it does other animials. They said they can fly to flee floods & the water does not impact turkey harvest numbers. Bull!

Some may disagree but I & some others think the flood zone restrictions should apply to turkeys just like other seasons are affected. If we ever want to get a stable, huntable flock of turkeys in the bottomlands this is something that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I agree that the flood restrictions should apply for Zone 17.......and that it might not affect the harvest...it sure does affect the hatch, especially if the water stays up long enough!!!

Most of the guys in my camp behind the levee are worried that it will be Closed by the G&F, because of the water!!!! We'll just have to wait and see!!

I for one will not be hunting them, having surgery on my hand Wednesday, and it'll be tough to hunt 1 handed!!! I justed talked to 1 hunter from the camp, and he was down there this weekend, and heard 1 bird on the whole 2400 acres...I imagine most have flown the river to Big Island, and High Ground.........but that is common when there is a lot of pressure on them on our lease!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts