Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this post meets guidelines as it involves a different type of shooting. I'm a wildlife photographer and have had so many inquiries about duck photos that I've decided it's time to get busy and shoot some waterfowl images to my website. I want sunrise/sunset shots that include the landscape and ducks taking flight and/or landing on water. I realize the ducks have not arrived in full force due to the warm weather as I'm still waiting for bald eagles to arrive, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row in advance lol! Suggestions on locations? My plan is to get out and shoot on morning/evenings when there is no hunting going on. I do have a kayak so I can paddle in, if necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very familiar with Holla Bend. I shoot there pretty often, particularly the snow geese. But the area in front of the viewing platform has never produced much in the way of waterfowl when I've been there, mostly egrets and herons. Have you seen a lot of ducks out there?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Big Lake NWR in NE Arkansas would be a great place to photograph ducks. The federal side can't be hunted so you wouldn't have to worry about messing up anybody's hunt. I'm just not 100% sure how much you can access, at least not by foot or vehicle. There are always a variety of divers on Mallard Lake. And the ditches and marshy area on the west side of Mallard Lake always have ducks, and you may be able to photograph them from the road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I deer hunt hollabend and there were tons of ducks a month ago. I'm sure quite a few still around. Also there are a couple hidden ponds from the road that hold lots of ducks. I couldn't imagine going there this time of year and not seeing any ducks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Lake NWR in NE Arkansas would be a great place to photograph ducks. The federal side can't be hunted so you wouldn't have to worry about messing up anybody's hunt. I'm just not 100% sure how much you can access, at least not by foot or vehicle. There are always a variety of divers on Mallard Lake. And the ditches and marshy area on the west side of Mallard Lake always have ducks, and you may be able to photograph them from the road.
I have a kayak and would actually prefer accessing the more remote areas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, my plan is to go on days when no hunting is going on. I guess my next step is to figure out when those times are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you shoot at gold creek often, right on 365 in Mayflower? I often see someone shooting there when I leave work.
Yes, that's part of my routine this time of year as I look for pelicans and egrets. I spend quite a bit of time kayaking Lake Conway. Especially now that there have been confirmed gator sightings. I hope to get the first good photos of one of them. I've seen lots of gator sign in the form of some slides but no gator yet lol. I drive a green subaru outback with lots of Yellowstone stickers on the back window so if you see me out shooting feel free to stop and say hello. Especially if you have any good wildlife sightings to share!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.