Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Ive been reading in the hog hunting section a discussion about night hunting for hogs. There is ALOT of talk about the wildlife officers in that thread. If you read it you will understand. IT got me thinking. Im curious what all yall think about the wildlife officrs that we have. I will tell you, I think they are doing a good job. To me, it seams that the guys that have all the trouble with them are the ones that keep getting busted doing stupid stuff. That was not pointed at anybody on here. If you think about all the BS they have to deal with you begin to understand. Think about it like this, if everybody that you delt with at work, EVERY DAY, carried a gun, youd have a few more bad days huh? Yes, I think ther are a few that are a pain in the ass. But I also think they do a good job. If it were not for them, we would have nothing left to hunt besides cats and flys.
I have been checked several times. I have got fined once too. That was for shooting a goose and not haveing my gun plugged. My fault. Funny thing is, he was still cool to me. I could not get mad cause he was just doing his job.
Anyway, I am intrested to know what yall think.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Ok, Ive been reading in the hog hunting section a discussion about night hunting for hogs. There is ALOT of talk about the wildlife officers in that thread. If you read it you will understand. IT got me thinking. Im curious what all yall think about the wildlife officrs that we have. I will tell you, I think they are doing a good job. To me, it seams that the guys that have all the trouble with them are the ones that keep getting busted doing stupid stuff. That was not pointed at anybody on here. If you think about all the BS they have to deal with you begin to understand. Think about it like this, if everybody that you delt with at work, EVERY DAY, carried a gun, youd have a few more bad days huh? Yes, I think ther are a few that are a pain in the ass. But I also think they do a good job. If it were not for them, we would have nothing left to hunt besides cats and flys.
I have been checked several times. I have got fined once too. That was for shooting a goose and not haveing my gun plugged. My fault. Funny thing is, he was still cool to me. I could not get mad cause he was just doing his job.
Anyway, I am intrested to know what yall think.
I think you're right on the $$. I've got two real good friends who are WL officers. One is my old college roommate and the other lives down the road from my parents. Both are great guys and would do anything for you but you can still see that there is something about working that sort of job(police included) that gives them a sort of edginess or something. Maybe it's just a constant worry about the pressures of a dangerous job, I don't know. Maybe you just have to spend some time hanging out with them away from the job to see how it seems to effect them. Just like any job though, you're gonna have some buttheads out there. Just don't let it cause you to believe they all are!!!:wink:

· Premium Member
15,529 Posts
I think you're right on the $$. I've got two real good friends who are WL officers. One is my old college roommate and the other lives down the road from my parents. Both are great guys and would do anything for you but you can still see that there is something about working that sort of job(police included) that gives them a sort of edginess or something. Maybe it's just a constant worry about the pressures of a dangerous job, I don't know. Maybe you just have to spend some time hanging out with them away from the job to see how it seems to effect them. Just like any job though, you're gonna have some buttheads out there. Just don't let it cause you to believe they all are!!!:wink:
I agree completely.. We'd have nothing to hunt or fish without them!!

· Registered
11,755 Posts
I have run into several over the years in different counties. I have never been written a citation. Some were courteous and a pleasure to talk to and even helpful. Some though were rude and obnoxious enough to make me want to give it up for the day. I went goose hunting with one in a group of people one time. He drove around posted signs, through peoples wet fields. He tried to search peoples vehicles when they weren't there. He harassed the other goose hunters we ran into and his mindset was that all people were guilty of something. I couldn't wait to get away from him and fortunately I don't hunt in his county. They are like everyone else. Some good some bad and some in between.

· Registered
11,755 Posts
Since I told a story about a bad one I will tell a couple of good stories too.
One of the farms I hunt is regularly visited by one of our wardens. I was rabbit hunting in the snow and saw a warden truck down by the lake. I walked down there and he had rescued a calf out of the ice and had waded over his boots to do it. It was very cold and he had fed the calf and was warming it up and tending to it. He had been with it 3 hours. Top notch guy going above and beyond his duty.
Another is from stone county. I was scouting for bear sign and ran into the refuge manager. he asked me what I was doing and offered to help. He drove me around in his truck and showed me sign. And gave me some good tips on places to hunt and schooled me on the behavior of Arkansas bears. I looked forward to seeing him when I went there.

· Registered
21,179 Posts
It does seem the bad stories are the ones that get mentioned, so its nice to read some good ones from time to time. I think we all form a certain opinion on each other, and its hard to meet someone like a officer and not get the horror stories out of your mind of someone else or even your own. They are trained to be suspicious and we are really conditioned to be suspicious of them, thinking we have done something wrong when we know we haven't. I think it would be wise for all to keep a open mind when we run into each other, but somehow I believe on their behalf the bad hunters make it bad for all of us.

· Registered
9,620 Posts
They have a job to do, just like we all do..........their's is just a lot harder than most!! I've got several good friends that are WO's........and have hunted with them on more than 1 occassion.........they know I am legal, but still check me......part of their job!!!!!!

BTW.....am 56, and have never been issued a citation, and have hunted all over the south and even Alaska, and met WO's there, and they were nice as good be......but we all can have a bad day!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
845 Posts
I've heard stories of folks getting tickets for not having a pen or some type of time piece on them out in the field....never talked to anyone who actually got one though. I dont know if this is an old tale or not, but I've always carried two pens and a watch/cell phone. Have any of you got a ticket for not having one or both of the two? There is nothing in the regs which says you have to have carry either. My daughter just took a hunter ed class and the teach said if you do get such a ticket...fight it. He said to estimate the time if you have to and fill the tag out with blood on a stick if you dont have a pen in the truck.

I did have one old boy tell me he got a ticket several years ago for not filling his tag out in black ink. The tags used to say to fill out the BACK with ink....for some reason a several wardens though it said fill out with BLACK ink. The teach said this used to be a common ticket in LA.

· Registered
1,935 Posts
Some friends and I were hunting on a local wma. My friend had killed a nice buck a long way from the truck. There was a road that came down to where we were at but it had a cable on it. The local warden saw my other friends buck in the back of the truck but no one around so he unlocked the cable and drove down. We were resting from bringing this deer about a half a mile when he drove up. We talked a while then he let us load the deer up and hauled us the rest of the way out, thankfully because it was all up hill.:up:

· Registered
3,390 Posts
Most of the WO's that I have run into have been real good folks but it only takes one bad apple as the saying goes. Never had a ticket and don't want one I try to have my stuff together when I leave the house. God bless them I don't know if I could put up with people lying to me all the time thats one of my biggest pet peeves besides stealing. :biggrin:

· Registered
2,075 Posts
they are hiring right now. I would do it but I am afraid I would get placed somewhere where I can't drive to. I wouldn't mind moving but the wife has a really good job and I have a sneaking thought that it wouldn't be easy to sell our house.

· Registered
23,321 Posts
I have the utmost of respect for them, I may not like or appreciate the attitude of all I've dealt with but when you consider most people they deal with can easily out gun them I can kinda understand them being :censored:. They've got a high stress job trying to enforce one of the most confusing written documents you'll ever see.

· Registered
100 Posts
I've never had any problems with them but I have only been checked four times in the last 20 years, three in one night on Lake Hamilton and once deer hunting. They weren't bad and I even tried to get them to trade boats with me but they declined. I can't see why they wouldn't trade a bass cat with a 200 for a 16ft fisher with a 25 :biggrin:.

3,605 Posts
I think they mostly do a good job.

Here is where I think that they are screwing up......................................Some of them are trying to become police officers. They spend more time checking people for drinking/driving and other police related issues than wildlife issues. I have seen several wardens make traffic stops IN TOWN. In Perry county the wardens make more DWI arrest than the local police. The wardens are too busy going on drug busts and making DWI arrest to catch a poacher.

I say that they need to be out protecting the wildlife and let the police protect and serve the rest of us.

· Registered
501 Posts
I think they mostly do a good job.

Here is where I think that they are screwing up......................................Some of them are trying to become police officers. They spend more time checking people for drinking/driving and other police related issues than wildlife issues. I have seen several wardens make traffic stops IN TOWN. In Perry county the wardens make more DWI arrest than the local police. The wardens are too busy going on drug busts and making DWI arrest to catch a poacher.

I say that they need to be out protecting the wildlife and let the police protect and serve the rest of us.
X2

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.