Wild onion/garlic ??

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by whiteoak, Dec 20, 2012.

1. whiteoak

whiteoak Well-Known Member

I need to mow my yard in December because of this things. What can I spray on them now to kill them out??

2. UCNE

UCNE Well-Known Member

3. quackpipe08

quackpipe08 Well-Known Member

Get mad at your kids and make them go out there and pull them. I dont know of anything that you can spray to kill them, but I will ask some of my people in weed science and see what they have to say and get back with you.

4. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

SWA
  5. ar_lawngod

ar_lawngod Well-Known Member

NW AR
    There are a lot of products that will hurt them, but few do a good job of killing. They have two things that reduce chemical uptake. They have a thick wax coating and up right growth. If you are wanting to spray, you will need to do it right after mowing or you need to break the wax coating by stepping on them so that you will get a better uptake. Productwise, try a 3 way blend, 2-4d, Trichloro, and dicamba. Make sure the 2-4d and Trichloro are both ester formulations which will work better at cooler temps. You will still need a soil temperature in the 40s-50s for the to uptake the chemical. Good Luck and I hope this helps a bit

6. jcdp411

jcdp411 Well-Known Member

They are Garlic and not onion, 2-4-D will kill them, but you will have to apply it more than once.

7. ar_lawngod

NW AR
    Depends on if they are hollow stemmed or not. Arkansas has both.

8. jcdp411

Yeah, I'm well aware that we have both.... But there is a big difference and since every spring I pick wild onions for an old Indian dish of cornbread, eggs, and wild onions I know what each looks like..... And onion is not actually flat, it has the shape of about a quarter moon....

You will find the wild onions in the woods, around springs, low areas, or on the edges of fields, in the spring time (rarely in yards) and never in the fall..... If they are in the yard, in the fall..... they are garlic....

9. quackpipe08

quackpipe08 Well-Known Member

This is exacly what my weed science buddies said :up:

10. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

24d will control them with several applications. My Bil is an ag chemical guy. I asked him several years ago, because my yard was thick with them in the winter. He told me to spray them with 24d 3 times over winter and expect to do the same thing the next year. I got rid of them all in 2 years.

11. sam

sam Grand Member

Instead of mowing and spraying, if you have a roller, roll them and then spray. Rolling crushes them and breaks up the wax coating on them. I've had good luck with Grazon.

12. Quack addict

Quack addict Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Eudora,MS
  13. ar_lawngod

NW AR
    jcdp411- I agree with you, most of the time it is garlic. But I have been doing this for a long time and can't dismiss the fact that it is not the other. Due to the construction boom in NWA, I have seen weeds in lawns that were completely out of place. Dirt gets brought into these subdivisions from all over including some from surrounding states. A visual would confirm one or the other. It has been far from a normal year, so it would surprise me to see some plants out of their normal patterns.

14. Unit74

Unit74 Account Suspended

My yard is full of them right now. Are they any good for cooking?

15. jcdp411

NO..... Not what is there now...

16. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

Look for a Dupont chemical sold under the name Cimmaron. I was making headway with 2-4D at my old place in Austin but a guy gave me some Cimmaron to spray in the fall and I did not have more than about a half dozen come back up the next spring.

Noticed them early this fall at the new place in Beebe so I went to the Farmer's Co Op in Cabot (I think that is what is is called) and picked up some to spray. That was back in September/October and I don't have many at all in the yard now. If you go looking for it where I purchased it you will have to ask as they keep it behind the counter and not out on the regular shelf. It's a bit pricey, about $40 and I got enough to spray my 2.5 acres twice. Figure I'll hit it again in the spring for any I did not get this fall.

Best of luck.