Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Thanks for sharing this ArkArcher. The timing is very good with bow season just around the corner.

I would echo what Mr. McCabe had to say. I also fell in Jan. 1992 while bowhunting in Gulf Mt. WMA. I was fortunate to only suffer a shattered left arm that kept me in a cast for 6 months and cost me one bow season. I could have been much less fortunate.

Always, always wear your safety harness. If not for yourself, for your loved ones.

hd

· Registered
3,451 Posts
Stories like this are, unfortunately, quite common. I know personally of 3 friends that have fallen out of tree stands. They were more lucky than Mr. McCabe. What really surprises me is that there are many hunters out there that do not use a fall restraint system. It's almost as if they are embarrassed to use them. I just don't understand.

· Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Me neither. When I hunt a buddies stand I always leave mine in it when I leave. I have given these guys at least 6 safety straps over the years but you never see them with one. I wear a 'D' ring harness in my stands but always carry a spare just in case.

· Banned
385 Posts
Aint that the truth.......I wear one religiously. Thats one thing that will cancel my hunt faster than anything is if I don't have it.......sorry, I got too much to live for. I'm hooked from the ground up in my climber. In loc-on type stands it's different but I do hook up/tie off at the top of the ladder before I step over on to the stand.

Another thing that may be of interest to some is the fact that if you do fall you have to get back in the stand or back over on to the ladder or you have big problems as well from what is called "Suspension Trauma"

Basically from what I have read about it the blood gets pooled in your legs combined with restricted breathing from being secured in the harness causes you to pass out in short order and can eventually lead to death.

Summit or one of the tree stand manufacturers has a device.....looks like a rope that you hook up to your harness that allows you to stand up in your harness instead of just hanging there to lets the blood flow again.

I take an Ezy-step screw-in type from my back pack and stick in the top of each boot in the event I do fall and get hung up I can reach down and screw in to the tree to stand on until I can figure a way down.......may be too much thinking on my part but like I said.........thats one way I don't want to go out.:up:

· Banned
1,857 Posts
In loc-on type stands it's different but I do hook up/tie off at the top of the ladder before I step over on to the stand.
I consider climbing a climbing stick more dangerous than any other method of getting into a tree. One of those straps could break, those thin steps could crack, you could slip off of it, etc. There was a guy close to here last year that got to the top of his stick ladder only to have the top strap come undone, the top of the stick swung out off of the tree and he fell to the ground, he was hurt bad, but lucky to have his life.

I used to climb to the top, then hook onto the tree and step in, but now I start with a linemans rope at the ground, when I get to a limb, I tie off with the strap around the tree that goes through the top of the harness, then unhook my linemans rope and go on up. That way I am always attached to the tree.

Also, if your stand pretty much stays in one spot for awhile, you can use a rope attached to the tree up high and down by the base and use a saftey hitch knot attached to your harness, then you just slide it up or down, but if you fall it will catch and not let you fall

· Registered
305 Posts
I have used a safety belt since God was young..It was just the belt that loops around the tree & goes around your waste that I got with my 1st climber ( a wooden platform Warren & Sweat that I still have as a keepsake for Heaven's sake :head: )..When I got my 1st Ol Man it came with a harness & you nearly had to have 4 years of college to put the dang thing on,,so I just kept using my belt..Never knew that if I had fallen it likely would have caused me to suffocate from pressure under the ribcage..I also never put it on until I got up in the tree..I usually hunt @ about 20 bone~breaking feet give er take & really never came close to falling because I'm REAL CAREFUL ( don't like heights much )..Never gave much thought to stand malfunction & so far it's never happened..Well,,I got me a new Ol Man aluminimum model this year & went on & purchased me a HSS vest also..At near bout 50 years young I ain't quite the rock n roller I used to be so I also attach myself to the tree at ground zero these days..I really don't want to spend my last few years of Life hunting out of a Double Bull that my son had to "wheel" me into..SwampPimp mentioned the pressure on the legs if you do fall & the dvd that came with the vest addresses this..The top line HSS vest come with a strap you hook up to put your feet in to relieve the pressure on the legs if you fall,,the poor man's model like mine doesn't have it so I rigged up & carry a strap with me ( just in case )..I've already used it to get a couple of trees ready to hunt from & I sure feel safer,,afterall,,I wanna walk up & hug my kids & wife,,not have them bend over to hug me:up:..

· Registered
3,451 Posts
Aint that the truth.......I wear one religiously. Thats one thing that will cancel my hunt faster than anything is if I don't have it.......sorry, I got too much to live for. I'm hooked from the ground up in my climber. In loc-on type stands it's different but I do hook up/tie off at the top of the ladder before I step over on to the stand.
Same here.

Summit or one of the tree stand manufacturers has a device.....looks like a rope that you hook up to your harness that allows you to stand up in your harness instead of just hanging there to lets the blood flow again.

I take an Ezy-step screw-in type from my back pack and stick in the top of each boot in the event I do fall and get hung up I can reach down and screw in to the tree to stand on until I can figure a way down.......may be too much thinking on my part but like I said.........thats one way I don't want to go out.:up:
Some good ideas comin'. Keep it up.

· Registered
3,451 Posts
I consider climbing a climbing stick more dangerous than any other method of getting into a tree. One of those straps could break, those thin steps could crack, you could slip off of it, etc. There was a guy close to here last year that got to the top of his stick ladder only to have the top strap come undone, the top of the stick swung out off of the tree and he fell to the ground, he was hurt bad, but lucky to have his life.

I used to climb to the top, then hook onto the tree and step in, but now I start with a linemans rope at the ground, when I get to a limb, I tie off with the strap around the tree that goes through the top of the harness, then unhook my linemans rope and go on up. That way I am always attached to the tree.

Also, if your stand pretty much stays in one spot for awhile, you can use a rope attached to the tree up high and down by the base and use a saftey hitch knot attached to your harness, then you just slide it up or down, but if you fall it will catch and not let you fall
I agree, making that transition from the steps to the stand scares the begeebers out of me. I have one stand with the safety rope installed. I believe I got it from Summit. They're pretty easy to make though. All you have to get is some large rope long enough to tie off at the top and bottom of the tree. Then get some smaller rope to make the prussic knot that slides up and down the big rope.

· Registered
3,451 Posts
Free for the asking

Here's how much I believe in using a safety harness. I've got 4 or 5 of them I'm not using. I get one every time I buy a new stand. They're a little complicated to put on until you get used to doing it, but I believe your life is worth the effort. If anyone can't afford to buy one and will promise to use it, I'll send you one of mine. And if you can't afford the shipping, I pay that too.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it almost might be worth stickying (is that a word??:head:) this thread. Some good advice in here and I think everyone should see this guys story. If you don't want to sticky though, I understand that too. :up:

· Registered
11,693 Posts
I got really lucky about 3 years ago when I fell from a ladder stand that came loose fro the tree as I was climbing down. I broke three vertebrae, but was up walking a week later. Don't forget that you need to be attached to the tree from the ground up and from the top down. I did a little research and found a cheap yet effective way to do it.

You will need enough climbers rope to go around the tree at the top, go down the tree and tie off at the bottom. 15 feet extra should be a safe bet, and the rope isn't that expensive. You'll also need some "prussic" chord. Attach the line about shoulder hight when your standing in the stand and about waste high at the bottom then just attach the chord with a prussic knot like on the video. Clip on before you go up and off when you get to the ground. I've tested this set up just to make sure it works, and it's great.

Heres a good youtube video on making the knot and some pics of my own set-up. It cost me $18 for 40' of line and the prussic chord, which is a lot stronger than the parachute chord used in the video.

I would recommend a set up like this for every ladder or hanging stand you use. The guy at the the climbing shop said my static line would be strong enough for 3 people to fall at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDU4sSkXrIM&feature=related

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.