Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some questions that I hope you never have to consider while you're out bowhunting:
What would be the effective range if I just threw the arrow by hand?
What would be the effective range if I just threw the entire bow?
Maybe I should just get some rocks to throw?
I should have brought one of those folding sling shots for backup.

All of these went through my mind Sunday morning.

I'd been in my stand on public land for quite a while wondering when the does would come by. I felt confident they would, but I hadnt seen a thing all morning.

Then at 10:30, a doe slipped up quietly, intently moving into my shooting lane directly in front of a tree I had ranged at exactly 30 yds. I grab my bow, and just as she's clearing the brush on the side of the lane, I start to draw... Just one problem. MY BOW WONT FRIGGIN DRAW!!! (Just thinking about it makes me want to scream)

The doe proceeded to stop in my shooting lane offering a great shot, but eventually she wondered off. I looked my bow all over, I figure out that there's an allen-head screw in the cam. It's come out just enough that the head of the screw is hitting the inside of the limb when the cam starts to turn when I draw my bow. Even left a nice indention in the limb from sitting there trying to get the bow to draw.

I couldnt turn the screw with my knife, a stick, anything, so I climbed down. From there things got even more frustrating... As I'm wrapping my bow rope around my hand, I look up and 2 more does are coming right at me. One has caught this movement, but apparently she wasnt sure. She decided to walk directly up to me and stop at about 25yds to stare and make fun of me. After several minutes of the stare down, I couldnt handle it anymore. I had got on my knees, and I thought, "Maybe if I crawl around on the ground, she'll think I'm a dog or something, and she wont associate my stand with human activity." Having nothing to lose, I start bear-crawling toward her, and even barked. Apparently this does scare deer, but not that badly. She only ran off about 50yds to snort and stamp her feet at me. I couldnt handle it anymore. I stood, flipped her off, and went home.

Just remember folks, check your bows for loose parts. I've had sight pins and accessory stuff like that rattle loose before, but never anything this integral to the bow. I had shot mine Friday night, but apparently that was not a good time for that screw to come loose. It had to do it during a hunt. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go cry.

·
Super Moderator
9,915 Posts
I was pretty sure that you had just gotten "buck fever" on a wee little doe...:smack:

So I'm somewhat relieved to see that your bow malfunctioned...if that can be a relief at all!?!? :eek:

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate hunt...good lesson for all of us to hear though.

Oh yeah, and better you than me. :fit:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
:fit: That was great.....I was hunting yesterday evening on the ground, and it was getting prime time "615-700" to see something. I did see something. A squirrel was on the ground and almost came and sit on my lap when she notice something wasn't right. I didn't even blink, and she got on a limb about 5 feet from my face and started barking. It scared the :censored: out of me. I knew it was going to, but didn't when. I was so mad I thought about putting a arrow right threw it. Funny thing is I went squirrel hunting 2 weeks ago, and couldn't see one. I seen 7 just sitting there yesterday evening. I too gave the squirrel the bird when I left at 710. I feel you pain bro ! :fit:

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Any chance you got that on video??????? LOL

Better luck next time, but the Lord has a plan for everyting like fullcredit said it cold have saved your bow from blowing up or worse...at least ya got a good story out of it and I got a chuckle....Thanks :up:

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know what I would think if I walked up on a grown man crawling around the woods barking like a damn dog.
Whoa, I never thought about that! I was on public land.
I have absolutely no doubt that, if someone had actually seen that, the extreme embarassment on top of the extreme anger I already had would have caused my head to explode. I'm only a man. I can only handle so much.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
That one should go down in history. I'm sorry for your bad luck. Hope the season only improves for you. And yea it was better being a doe than a record book buck. Maybe you learned this lesson at the right time so you can bag that big trophy later on. Good lesson for us all ....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.